We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Idea Dump

• I need to read the APK guide, I suppose....

But I wonder how hard it is pair (bluetooth) two Omegas (or Omega2s) together?

Basically with the pair, you have one doing the monitoring and the second performing tasks. The reason for pairing is that the system is not completely shut down by one of them going out. True, the one performing actions could still be performing incorrect actions if it is the problem module, but there is an idea I could program a baseline action that performs no actions as the default.

IF [one] perceives <threshold_event_z>, then
    [two] performs <action_z>
    else
    IF [one] perceives <threshold_event_y>, then
    [two] performs <action_y>
    else loop

• @Rafael-Roman The cheepest way would be to build a phone app. All the hardware that you need are already assembled and ready to use in any smart phone. There are tons of QRCODE apps out there, so you could perhaps modify and existing open-source one to suit your needs.

• I want to mate an onion to a SNES cart to make a development platform for retro SNES games. I think that the onion2 would have a larger size than any game ever made, but would also allow for wifi connections in game. I have always wanted to be able to do networked multiplayer on the SNES, as they still have one of the best couch co-op games in Super Smash TV 😉

I mainly want to realize the Google April Fool's Day joke in 2012, except on the SNES: https://maps.googleblog.com/2012/03/begin-your-quest-with-google-maps-8-bit.html

• Okay, I see this for Android but not for Linux. I'm sure I'll find something. I was just wondering if there was anything baked into Omegas.

http://www.londatiga.net/it/programming/android/how-to-programmatically-pair-or-unpair-android-bluetooth-device/

@TheMonkey-King said in Idea Dump:

I need to read the APK guide, I suppose....

Basically with the pair, you have one doing the monitoring and the second performing tasks. The reason for pairing is that the system is not completely shut down by one of them going out. True, the one performing actions could still be performing incorrect actions if it is the problem module, but there is an idea I could program a baseline action that performs no actions as the default.

else
    else loop

• I want to make a 'listener.' Basically use the Onion (or Onion 2) as the controller for a host of receivers/transmitters. (Z-Wave, Zigbee, Wifi, etc.)

Box it up and use it to listen/communicate with all the IoT devices in a room and act as the middleman to a localhost server which stores all the AI routines and services.

So I need:

1. all the different types of receivers (and probably get them as a multiples to build several of these)
    2. Make the breadboard socket or cabled to allow for different units to be snapped in or out as the number of related devices are added or subtracted from the home.
    3. Make the breadboard socket for Onion so that I make the Onion a snap-in controller
    4. Program the Onion to accept and acknowledge all device connections and to connect back to the central server. ID itself by unique designation (i.e. room name)

Because this idea is be a middleman between a central server and a collection of IoT devices, the communication can be as "close to the metal" as possible. Meaning I don't need to spend time creating an interface or compiler on the Onion. I can have the Onion know which device it is supposed to listen to and how to talk to it on the kernel (or deeper) layer. The interface or programmatic layer would sit on the interface (browser?) client (PC, tablet, phone) or API at the localhost server.

• By the way, I am discarding this idea...
    It was to provide a cheap yet reliable way of zoning HVAC to specific rooms using not vent covers, but shunts built into the ducts.

Zoning HVAC is a very bad idea unless your HVAC itself is designed for zones. You end up either icing the condenser or overheating the blower. So while I like the ideas of pairing Onions to have each do separate tasks but work in concert, and the idea of snapping an Onion into a 120v mains instead of consuming an outlet for a transformer wall wart, these two ideas would not make for a good HVAC solution in the common household.

Okay, I see this for Android but not for Linux. I'm sure I'll find something. I was just wondering if there was anything baked into Omegas.

http://www.londatiga.net/it/programming/android/how-to-programmatically-pair-or-unpair-android-bluetooth-device/

I need to read the APK guide, I suppose....

else
    else loop

• This post is deleted!

• @matthew-losquadro said in Idea Dump:

Would love if you could create offline / paper-wallets for bitcoin on the device, all automated and all that.

this is a nice idea. It is something that i am looking into. I actually had the notion of creating a node on the Omega - but i am not sure that it will be possible. Will be looking into this further during the month - i only received my Omega2+ last week 🙂 - and i will keep you posted.

• I found a project idea on hackster.io that I'd like to try with Omega2. Basically, putting up lights on the underside of the kitchen cabinets, with a motion sensor and an ambient light sensor to control when the lights turn on and how bright they are. Not really sure what I'd need yet, I have the Omega2+ with the expansion dock.

• @francis-chung i would like to build a app to be able to code on the go. when ever you have an idea you just take your phone and code. i have the base visual of it but i need help to implement languages and have maybe a Github API to push projects.algologic_menu algologic_input

• @Guillaume-Langelier this sounds interesting. Can you give use case example at how you expect it to work or how the user will use it ?

• "The" panic button .

Once you press it start a series of task like sending a message (email, SMS even WhatsApp and Telegram). It could also know your location with the GPS module.

• Hi guys, I'm trying to set up an array of addressable RGB LEDs to create a large 8 bit style display. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places but I can't seem to figure out how to go about setting this up... thoughts? Also I'm working with an omega2 and an omega2+

• An automatic router rebooter, but one that would use the relay expansion, not the big, fat relays also available.

Oh, and make it a full monitor, display average speed, data transferred, and last 5 pings on the OLED display. Sometimes routers fail by giving enormous ping, but don't disconnect.

• Is it possible at all to stack several Omegas on Expansion docks to then create a tinie tiny web server? There's some obvious concerns: Powering all of the devices, configuring them to properly communicate with one another, and if it actually will work at all.

PHP, Python, Ruby, and Java all have micro-frameworks that would/could work for a project like this; so programming it wouldn't be a huge issue.

• @Alec-Stewart said in Idea Dump:

al Omegas on Expansion docks to then create a tinie tiny web server? There's some obvious concerns: Powering all of the devices, configuring them to properly communicate with on

Use a stack of ethernet expansions. Then, use a switch and load balancer system for all the omegas.
    If you want to stack them with direct GPIO, I see too much trouble to make it work fine.

It could look like this:

• 16x 32 display board controlled via phone or pc
    I would like to make a 16x32 or larger led display board to put in a shop window and have it say open or closed and perhaps show store hours that I could control with my pc or phone and add timers to it. I'm wondering if anyone can or has designed it with the omega or omega 2 ?
    I would use something like this http://www.dhgate.com/product/led-rgb-64-32-pixels-indoor-full-color-full/375024076.html#s1-14-7b;searl|1071565168
    but I need to know what else I would need besides the power supply can anyone offer advice ?

• @Michael-Hebert said in Idea Dump:

I would like to make a 16x32 or larger led display board

I would use something like this http://www.dhgate.com/product/led-rgb-64-32-pixels-indoor-full-color-full/375024076.html#s1-14-7b;searl|1071565168
    but I need to know what else I would need besides the power supply can anyone offer advice ?

That seems potentially similar to a product Adafruit used to sell and posts some resources for at https://www.adafruit.com/product/420

Going by what is there, it may be easiest to interface by using an auxiliary microcontroller to drive the display, and then set the message over a serial or USB interface from the Omega. For example, Onion->Arduino->Display.

That's not to say that a direct connection is necessarily impossible, but unless you are designing a product, the effort in finding suitably precise control over enough I/Os and servicing them regularly is probably not worth the trouble compared to the cost of adding a helper micro, and even in a product, that helper micro could cost less than a dollar, while giving flexibility to replace the Omega with a different wifi solution in the future.

For that matter you could possibly build the whole thing around an ESP8266 instead, though you'd likely need a board that exposes almost all of the pins and not just the few of some boards.

• @José-Luis-Cánovas now that you mention it, directly connecting them via GPIO seems a little convoluted when you could just do what you suggested. I could make a server rack, getting ethernet cables isn't an issue, getting a switch and a load balancer system isn't an isse, it's now just a matter of saving up and getting 3-5 more omega 2's, AND ethernet expansions. It sounds like a super awesome project to do though.

• I would like to build a functioning robot made with the Omega 2 plus. Are there coding languages that need to be downloaded?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.