We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

IoT use with the Omega2 Plus

• I am very new to the IoT world. I am excited about the IoT concept and want to use this in our manufacuring plants. My question is simple.... What can I do? I have ordered my first Omega2 Plus and want desperately to come up with a 'black box' that I can carry with to a plant. Do some simple wiring hookups and have the ability to capture information. Say temp, operating load/speed, etc on equipment. I just feel overloaded searching through the web data. Can someone help me understand what I can do AND direct me on how to do it. Thanks in advance.

• @Tom-Strutt said in IoT use with the Omega2 Plus:

I am very new to the IoT world. I am excited about the IoT concept and want to use this in our manufacuring plants. My question is simple.... What can I do? I have ordered my first Omega2 Plus and want desperately to come up with a 'black box' that I can carry with to a plant. Do some simple wiring hookups and have the ability to capture information. Say temp, operating load/speed, etc on equipment. I just feel overloaded searching through the web data. Can someone help me understand what I can do AND direct me on how to do it. Thanks in advance.

Well, son, you're in for a rough awakening here. First of all, the question "what can I do" is impossible to answer, it's a way too wide question. You can do a shitton of stuff, but you're limited by your skill and budget. Secondly, as for a "black box" that you can just carry with you and plug into industrial equipment -- not going to happen. There are a billion different kinds of bus-protocols the devices may use, though a common communication-method on industrial equipment is RS232 or RS485, neither of which can be directly plugged into the Omega2 in the first place due to them using much higher voltage-levels, plus you need to know beforehand what you're connecting to what and know the logical protocol the devices speak, like e.g. how to ask for temperature or such. How to ask for something like that changes from device to device and from manufacturer to manufacturer, and many manufacturers like to keep their protocol-details proprietary.

It's not like with the USB-bus, where a USB-device reports to the OS what device it is and the OS just loads up the corresponding driver and off you go.

• @Tom-Strutt , without killing your enthusiasm for IOT I propose you to work with a alternative product in parallel. IOT has a really big spectrum of activities.
    But the Omegas are nice smal and also quite limited in memory space, connectivity and OS'es.

Even if I don't have RaspberryPy i would encourage you to use such a device in parallel. With all the well organized info's you can find you will have a smoother start in to IOT.
    The possibilities to connect are bigger (at least RPI 3) and there is a much larger range of OS'es you can run on it. Even a display you can use.

As you already have a omega2 you could try to adapt some of the RPI tutorials for your small device without loose pleasure for exploring the IOT world.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.