We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Ethernet weirdness (no link with several switch)

• Hi,

Running into some rather curious issues. I have an ethernet expansion dock from ControlEverything (I actually have two, so tested with other one as well).

I found that the Omega is very picky in what it will built a link with:

• Dlink DGS-1008G, all good. Link is established after 10 secs or so and is stable
    • Ubiquity Edgerouter Lite. Link comes up and goes down after random intervals (in the second range)
    • TP-link TL-SF1005D. Link never comes up

The TP Link is the one I hope to use. Very low power and using 5V so great for combining with the 5V for the omega.

Firmware fully up to date.

Google has not turned up anything useful. All suggestions welcome!

Bas

• @Bas-Rijniersce said in Ethernet weirdness (no link with several switch):

ControlEverything

No clue ( https://shop.controleverything.com/products/i2c-breakout-for-onion-omega-with-ethernet-port )
    Do you have its schematics and compare with the Ethernet DIY thread here?

ccs_hello

• @ccs-hello Hi, the fact that it works with one switch without issues suggests (I think) that the hardware side of things is OK? I suspect there is something in the auto negotiation (Speed/Duplex) that fails

Bas

• @Bas-Rijniersce I doubt it is a general issue, because I have around 200 Omega2 in the field, all Ethernet connected and never saw any link problems. The hardware is using a different brand of magnetics (Pulse H1102FNL) than the Omega Ethernet Expansion (FPE LX16105SN), though.

My general experience is that Ethernet circuitry is not entirely trivial. Especially, I often found that a cheap (out of spec, not properly twisted/shielded) cable made speed negotiation fail with Gigabit ports.

• @luz

Hi Luz,

My dayjob is in IT (with infra structure mgmt as my background) so deal with network issues fairly regularly. This one is curious since I tried:

• Multiple (cheap ish) switches
    • Multi Omega's 2+'s
    • Multiple ethernet shield (but same make/model)
    • Multiple cables

There is 100% correlation to the switches used, any other variable can be changed without changing the result. The same switches have no issues establishing a link with a wide variety of other equipment.

Failed speed/duplex negotiations, poor speed as result of poor cable, etc etc, all fairly common. Don't think I have ever seen something like this.

Amazon just delivered me a cheap trendnet 5V power switch that people have used in IOT projects. I really hope that works

Might end up ordering one of the Onion shields to test

TX!
    Bas

P.s, that must be an interesting deployment you have!

• And GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, same issue with the Trendnet.

• @ccs-hello said in Ethernet weirdness (no link with several switch):

ControlEverything

You really should contact ControlEverything to ask them to perform a thorough test
    (compatibility with many Ethernet switches) on that module they sold.
    BTW, ask them to test using an Omega2. Omega1 supplies 2.5V on the transmitter side C.T., while
    Omega2 does not (N.C. on that 2.5Vout pin.) They also use different Ethernet PHY internally.

• @ccs-hello said in Ethernet weirdness (no link with several switch):

You really should contact ControlEverything to ask them to perform a thorough test
    (compatibility with many Ethernet switches) on that module they sold.
    BTW, ask them to test using an Omega2. Omega1 supplies 2.5V on the transmitter side C.T., while
    Omega2 does not (N.C. on that 2.5Vout pin.) They also use different Ethernet PHY internally.

Hi,

I had asked them to do that, and they replied they did test. But asked them to doublecheck it is indeed an Omega2

TX!
    Bas

• Hi,

An update, received the Onion shields and they worked without issues. Working with ControlEverything on their unit

Tx for the advice all

Bas

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.