We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Webcam?

• I can confirm that the Logitech B525 works correctly. At first it had a 15 FPS and fairly slow refresh. Removed the -y flag which seemed to force it to YUV mode and then it ran on MJPEG and was really good. Even swapped the res to 1280x720 and was still excellent refresh speed but not quite as smooth as 640x480.

mjpg_streamer -i "input_uvc.so -d /dev/video0 -r 1280x720 " -o "output_http.so"

• @Boken-Lin I have ordered the PS3 one that looks like the first link. Got from ebay for $6. Won't get it for several days. Should have just used amazon. I did have someone tell me that the PS3 ones were probably purchased by the crate from China, and now being sold individually for a dollar or two profit each.

• @Boken-Lin said:

@Theodore-Borromeo I'm not sure if this is the source of the problem. But I just realized that the webcam we have is a PS3 eye (not a ps2 eye). And it was able to be detected by the Omega with the firmware. I have just ordered a ps2 eye so we can play around with it and figure out the problem.

Buahahaha!!! I went and bought two ps2eyes based on the previous info, even though I already had two ps3eyes already! ( what can I say, GameStop is having a fire sale on them and they are the cheapest CV cams when you do the IR filter removal hack.)

• This post is deleted!

• @Boken-Lin Just received my new PS3 cam and having the same problem like Theodore with: init_VideoIn failed

• @Uwe-Press if you do a ls in /dev, i'm guessing the camera isn't detected?

• @Boken-Lin correct Cam is not detected

• @Uwe-Press Yeah, that seems to be an issue with the playstation cameras. I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. Seems to be a missing a kernel driver.

• @Boken-Lin I got my ps3 eye today. Tried it out. No workie. There is no device created in the /dev/ folder. However, when it is plugged in I get an item in dmesg:
    usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
    and again when I disconnect
    usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2

• The good news is that a Logitech C270 works. I got it at Microcenter openbox for $15

[ 1849.270000] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device <unnamed> (046d:0825)
    [ 1849.380000] input: UVC Camera (046d:0825) as /devices/platform/ehci-platform/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/input/input0
    root@Omega-030D:/# ls /dev/v*
    /dev/video0

• Using putty to ssh into the omega so once i get a external power supply shoul be able to make a little stream wildlife camera (maybe for the sheep out the back if the wifi signal goes that far). Any suggestions, maybe just a cheap powerbank ? A solar thing would be good.

• @Andrew-Nixon You should definitely try a power bank. Mine was able to power the Omega itself for about a week. With a webcam it can probably power it for 2-3 days.

• @Andrew-Nixon For what it's worth, I am powering my Omega from a 2000mAh lithium battery and only ever access the Omega standalone via Wi_Fi (i.e. no USB connection) and I get a few days from it

• @Boken-Lin When you had a PS3 EyeToy running was it in YUI mode? After some reading, it looks like that is what it runs with. That would put more strain on the processor that one that outputs mjpeg.

Anyway, when I plug my PS3 EyeToy into my RasperryPi this is what dmesg shows:

[   72.073814] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg
    [   72.176578] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=1415, idProduct=2000
    [   72.176608] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    [   72.176626] usb 1-1.3: Product: USB Camera-B4.09.24.1
    [   72.176643] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: OmniVision Technologies, Inc.
    [   72.177798] gspca_main: ov534-2.14.0 probing 1415:2000
    [   74.151802] usb 1-1.3: current rate 17003 is different from the runtime rate 16000
    [   74.155049] usb 1-1.3: 3:1: cannot get min/max values for control 2 (id 3)

Where did you get the mjpeg_streamer source from? github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer.git? It doesn't come on the PI and isn't in apt-get. Going to try to install it from there.

• @Boken-Lin Here's what I get when I try to run the ov519 (ps2eyetoy) driver:
    insmod /lib/modules/3.18.20/gspca_ov519.ko :

[  733.050000] gspca_ov519: Unknown symbol gspca_frame_add (err 0)
    [  733.060000] gspca_ov519: Unknown symbol gspca_debug (err 0)
    [  733.060000] gspca_ov519: Unknown symbol gspca_disconnect (err 0)
    [  733.070000] gspca_ov519: Unknown symbol gspca_dev_probe (err 0)
    failed to insert /lib/modules/3.18.20/gspca_ov519.ko

and here is what I get when I try to ins mod the manually downloaded ov534 (ps3eye) drivers:

insmod /lib/modules/3.18.20/gspca_ov534.ko 
    [  723.300000] gspca_ov534: Unknown symbol gspca_frame_add (err 0)
    [  723.300000] gspca_ov534: Unknown symbol gspca_debug (err 0)
    [  723.310000] gspca_ov534: Unknown symbol gspca_disconnect (err 0)
    [  723.310000] gspca_ov534: Unknown symbol gspca_dev_probe (err 0)
    failed to insert /lib/modules/3.18.20/gspca_ov534.ko

My guess as to the issue: perhaps the previous firmware versions @ 3.18.20 did work, but the newer firmwares upgraded the kernels which might have broken the ps2/ps3 gspca drivers. . .

Can we have the gspca drivers for the ps2 and ps3 baked into the firmware? Those are cheap and ubiquitous enough to warrant it, I think šŸ™‚

• @Theodore-Borromeo Off topic, but do you have a PS3 eye toy working on a RasPi? Motion kind of sucks - very jittery, and not what motion was designed for. Looking at trying to compile jpeg-streamer.

• @Chris-Ward I don't have a raspi. I have an esp8266, a parallax propellor (never used) and this omega. Also waiting on C.H.I.P., though now I've heard that raspi zero is out. . . I'm really just trying to see what the cheapest way to get an opencv capable camera is. I really want a front facing ranging device with wireless streaming to my phone for my car.

• @Chris-Ward Just received my C270 today and it is working fine. Still struggling with my PS3 cam šŸ˜ž

• @Theodore-Borromeo I am working on a similar project. I have a van that I am trying to create a rear facing camera for, as I can't really see out the back. I had thought the RasPi would be camera, but now I am thinking the Omega, the C270, and a distance sensor at the back, and the RasPi with a screen at the front to view.

@Uwe-Press I am not sure the PS3 will be a great streaming camera on the Omega. I would love confirmation, but I can only seem to get the PS3 eye cam to be in YUV mode on my RasPi which uses more resources than I would like.

• @Steve-Fister said:

Ok, question. I'd like to free up the USB port on the Omega by hard wiring the USB camera to the board. I'm assuming that connecting the camera to the pins for +2.8vout (red), Gnd (black), USB+ and USB- will work? The camera requires 5vdc input. Do I need a step-up converter?? Thanks...

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.