We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Can't connect to wifi - driving me insane.

• I feel your pain. I'm in a similar situation.

Onion will connect to:
    Apple Airport Extreme with no security

Onion won't connect to:
    Apple Airport Extreme with any kind of security
    Cox-supplied home wifi router with WPA
    Commercial-grade wifi at work with security
    Commercial-grade wifi at work with no security
    Random Netgear router I have laying around

Every time someone brings up this problem, the answer is always more questions: "Does the SSID have any special characters? Are you using any special characters in the password?"

How about this for an answer: It doesn't matter! If my laptop can connect to a wifi signal, I expect the Onion to connect to the signal, too. Clearly one is correctly following the specifications (the laptop) and one is not (the Onion).

I can only hope this is going to be fixed in the next firmware release, like the SD Card fiasco. Though even that isn't 100% yet.

And while they're at it, how about fixing this terrible forum software? Until just this week it would crash Safari on even a very powerful Mac. It's still not possible to reply to messages on an iPhone because the textarea is larger than the screen. I know Chrome is all the rage among the nerds these days, but you know what else is pretty cool? Usability. Cross-browser compatibility. Testing.

If I built a web site like this at work, I'd be fired.

• @WayneL said in Can't connect to wifi - driving me insane.:

And while they're at it, how about fixing this terrible forum software? Until just this week it would crash Safari on even a very powerful Mac. It's still not possible to reply to messages on an iPhone because the textarea is larger than the screen. I know Chrome is all the rage among the nerds these days, but you know what else is pretty cool? Usability. Cross-browser compatibility. Testing.
    If I built a web site like this at work, I'd be fired.

This is a tool from nodebb if you do research there you might could do in the "water cooler" category a new request and maybe help that we get a better configuration to use it also with a mobile device.

Btw. we as clients to have the choice, look for better products and companies or hep them to get better šŸ˜‰

• On the bright side, some of us can connect.
    I have had no issues connecting my Omega2+ to my AES encrypted WiFi network that uses an ASUS RT-AC66U running asuswrt-Merlin 380.63.
    My WPA Pre-Shared key is 8 characters, all alpha.

What router firmware and version are you running, please?

• @Martin-Wiedmeyer I'm glad yours works. Mine doesn't. It's hard not to be a little irritated with the fact that I kickstarted a fancy paperweight. That said, I want to help diagnose whatever has gone wrong so that it can be fixed and can be used.

• @dr_jkl You may want to answer my questions.
    What router firmware and version are you running, please?
    Have you done any packet captures to see where the authentication negotiation fails?

• @Martin-Wiedmeyer Further up the thread has the info; Microtik CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD - it's running the latest firmware. I hadn't thought of the packet capture because I'm not sure anything is actually negotiating, but let me try it and see.

• @Martin-Wiedmeyer As far as I am able to tell, it doesn't even try associating. I am going to investigate further when everyone else goes to sleep šŸ™‚

• @dr_jkl I was looking at your wireless-config, and one thing I noticed is that when I used the official firmware, it added option ApCliEncrypType 'AES' in wifi-iface, ie. this is kinda the config it produced for me:

config wifi-device 'ra0'
    	option type 'ralink'
    	option mode '9'
    	option channel 'auto'
    	option txpower '100'
    	option ht '20'
    	option country 'US'
    	option disabled '0'

config wifi-iface
    	option device 'ra0'
    	option network 'wlan'
    	option mode 'ap'
    	option encryption 'psk2'
    	option key '12345678'
    	option ApCliEnable '1'
    	option ApCliAuthMode 'WPA2PSK'
    	option ApCliEncrypType 'AES'
    	option ssid 'Omega-616B'
    	option ApCliSsid 'PUTYOUROWNSSIDHERE'
    	option ApCliPassWord 'PUTYOURPASSWORDHERE'

config wifi-config
    	option ssid 'PUTYOUROWNSSIDHERE'
    	option encryption 'WPA2PSK'
    	option key 'PUTYOURPASSWORDHERE'

I don't see any other meaningful difference. Just for the sakes of curiosity, add that option and see if it makes any difference?

• @dr_jkl I am talking about looking at the WIFI packets before negotiation occurs.

I believe you are using a Mac, from what I see above...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/75221/wireless-sniffing-using-mac-os-x-106-and-above

• @Martin-Wiedmeyer All I see when I do that are beacons from the Omega advertising the Omega-76EB network.
    0_1487542455135_omega.pcapng

Either I am doing something wrong (possible, I don't use wireshark much) or the Omega isn't even trying.

(EDIT: references to 'jkl-omega' is the default network it brings up; I renamed the Omega-76EB network so my roomate wouldn't freak out about something new :D)

• @WereCatf Tried this... no change.

• @dr_jkl Are you using the native MacOS WiFi sniffing tools or WireShark alone?

• @Martin-Wiedmeyer I tried both ways; one with wireshark itself and then one using the native wifi monitor and opening the resultant packet capture in wireshark to grab anything from the Omega. As far as I can tell it never tries to associate.

• @dr_jkl did you ever get through this ? I have to omega2+ and neither of them get access to the internet even though they can connect to every router I throw at them.

• I have problem to connect to any mobile hotspot (tried on both iphone and samsung hotspot) But able to connect to Router AP just fine. anyone got any solution ?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.