We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Connecting to a FTP server

• Hi,
    I notice ftp (NOT ftp server) is not installed and I don't see it with opkg.

What do I need to install to be able to ftp to a remote ftp server?

Thanks

• @Jo-Kritzinger try the package wget.
    Doing

# opkg update
    # opkg list | grep ftp
    git-http - 2.11.0-1 - Git is a free & open source, distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency.  This package allows git push/fetch over http(s) and ftp(s)
    php7-mod-ftp - 7.1.1-1 - FTP shared module
    vsftpd - 3.0.3-1 - A fast and secure FTP server (no TLS)
    vsftpd-tls - 3.0.3-1 - A fast and secure FTP server (TLS)
    wget - 1.18-2 - Wget is a network utility to retrieve files from the Web using http and ftp, the two most widely used Internet protocols. It works non-interactively, so it will work in the background, after having logged off. The program supports recursive retrieval of web-authoring pages as well as ftp sites -- you can use wget to make mirrors of archives and home pages or to travel the Web like a WWW robot. This package is built with SSL support.

Shows the packages with ftp support.

• @José-Luis-Cánovas Hi José. Thanks for your reply. I did notice those packages but, unless I misunderstand what they do, they are not really suitable. I don't want to start a version control system or a ftp server. The php module sounds interesting but I don't run PHP (yet...never know ). I have wget but my impression is that it is geared for pull data from the web. I need to upload from the omega to a web server.
    However, I notice since the new firmware update (or perhaps since adding src/gz reboot_packages http://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/packages/mipsel_24kc/packages to /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf thanks to @werecatf helping me in the #topic mjpg_streamer would like to capture stills on SD card#) I have access to more options and a few of them seems like it is exactly what I need:
    atftp - 0.7.1-5 - TFTP client
    and
    openssh-sftp-client - 7.4p1-1 - OpenSSH SFTP client.

If I'm heading in the wrong direction, let me know, I appreciate all the help I can get.

• @Jo-Kritzinger There is lftp in the LEDE-repos, that might work for your needs.

• @WereCatf Thank you, I did notice that one but, being a bit of a fish out of water with linux, it seemed a bit over my head for now. But, I will check it out again.

• @Jo-Kritzinger
    @WereCatf is absolutely right, LFTP is a sophisticated file transfer program and LEDE's lftp is working well on Omega2+ (0.1.9-b150) 👍

If you just try out your project, then "install" a full BusyBox in addition to wget, and so you could do the most basic ftp operations:

root@Omega-5BE1:~# ftpget
    BusyBox v1.26.2 (2017-01-10 16:07:35 UTC) multi-call binary.

Usage: ftpget [OPTIONS] HOST [LOCAL_FILE] REMOTE_FILE

Download a file via FTP

-c,--continue		Continue previous transfer
    	-v,--verbose		Verbose
    	-u,--username USER	Username
    	-p,--password PASS	Password
    	-P,--port NUM		Port

root@Omega-5BE1:~# ftpput
    BusyBox v1.26.2 (2017-01-10 16:07:35 UTC) multi-call binary.

Usage: ftpput [OPTIONS] HOST [REMOTE_FILE] LOCAL_FILE

Upload a file to a FTP server

-v,--verbose		Verbose
    	-u,--username USER	Username
    	-p,--password PASS	Password
    	-P,--port NUM		Port

• to fetch .listing and index.html files of a directory
      wget --ftp-user=user --ftp-password=password ftp://ftp-server/ftp-directory/ --no-remove-listing
      to fetch the full directory structure of the ftp server with .listing file(s)
      wget --ftp-user=user --ftp-password=password ftp://ftp-server/ --no-remove-listing -r --spider

• to download (get) a file
      wget --ftp-user=user --ftp-password=password ftp://url/path/file.name
      ftpget -u USER -p PASS HOST [LOCAL_FILE] REMOTE_FILE

• to upload (put) a file
      ftpput -u USER -p PASS HOST [REMOTE_FILE] LOCAL_FILE

Maybe mc (Midnight Commander) would be the most convenient solution for you.
    Unfortunately LEDE's mc hasn't got ftp (Virtual File System) - probably someone should recompile it from source. :thinking:

• @György-Farkas Thank you, great information!

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.