We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Leanest python

• I have an original Omega from the kickstarter, and an Omega 2, so already we know that space is at a premium.

Of course, I can
    opkg install python-light
    and that works. The trouble is that I can never finish installing
    opkg install python-pip
    without it running out of space. It would appear that I'm installing a lot of modules. I really only want the time and requests module. The output shows downloads of codecs, installs and configuring. Then the errors roll in.

Perhaps I can remove these codecs?

I factory reset the Omega and attempting to get what I need from installing micropython and its micropython-lib. While that lib would seem to have included urequests, following the comments in the module it would appear that micropython is unable to find what it downloaded.

Of course, this shows that I don't know how to manage python and is why I'm asking how to get a lean python on the limited storage of the Omega without throwing away in favor of the 2+? How would you get requests working on it? I'm avoiding ESP32 because I've found the Omega's wifi far more reliable, sam

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• administrators

@sam-walton said in Leanest python:

How would you get requests working on it?

If you're still using python2, you can use opkg to install the python-urllib3 package for http requests. Should fit on the 16MB storage on the Omega2

If you're on python3, try listing out the packages available opkg list | grep python3

• @Stanton Thank you. Running

opkg update
    opkg list | grep lean

returns a list of libraries that have the word "lean" in them. The only thing I see with python is micropython.
    Is there an actual library called python-lean ? If so, it does not appear to be available to me?

• @Lazar-Demin
    Thank you for replying. To be certain I am not missing out on any libraries, I've uncommented all lines using
    vi /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf

opkg update
    opkg list | grep urllib
    returns no results. Certainly not when I attempt to install python-urllib3.
    Again, this is after a factory reset of this Omega. Checking for any firmware upgrade returns
    "no upgrade required" for this 0.1.4 (b330).
    So something is preventing me from seeing this python-urllib3 to let opkg install.

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• @Lazar-Demin
    It would appear that my original Omega does not have access to these libraries. I swapped it out with a newer Omega2 which appears to have the same storage space. Doing a factory reset on it, using the Arduino Dock 2, I find that python-urllib3 is available.

opkg update

opgk install python-urllib3

is found and helpfully attempts to install python-light as well.
    Unfortunately, it fails due to the same problem that python-light and perhaps the urllib3 is too much for the Omega2.
    Is that true? Would installing PHP instead of Python fit on an Omega2 ?

• administrators

It would appear that my original Omega does not have access to these libraries. I swapped it out with a newer Omega2 which appears to have the same storage space

Sorry, should have mentioned this advice is for the Omega2/2+ and does not apply to the original Omega

Unfortunately, it fails due to the same problem that python-light and perhaps the urllib3 is too much for the Omega2.
    Is that true? Would installing PHP instead of Python fit on an Omega2 ?

Not sure of the top of my head. I would suggest grabbing an Omega2+ and trying everything out. Then working backwards to make it fit on the Omega2 if that's a requirement.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.