We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Home Automation and remote access

• Hi All,

I've had my little Omega2+ sitting about for a long while and now I'm considering it for some interesting Home Automation IoT projects.

My question is this. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to access the device external of it's location? I'm talking about faffing with the GPIO pins whilst not at home. My projects require access from the internet.

Now, before anyone goes down the "oh you gotta faff with your port forwarding etc" I'm fully aware of the access into my router from external sources, but I'm struggling to find any documentation on exactly how to connect to the device and access onboard GPIO pins on the expansion.

My aim is to create my own Android App to switch relays, servo's motors lights etc etc for home automation purposes.

Any help would be (desperately) gratefully received.

• @Mark-Williams May be using an already existing home automation product supported on LEDE like Domoticz ? It can be accessed from outside of your LAN and already have an Android App. By creating virtual device associated with scripts you'll be able to control GPIO

• dynamic dns solves your issue

• @Mark-Williams
    Hi Mark, maybe this is not the answer your are waiting for.
    I am going to experiment with simple home automation tasks. I think I will use Losant as an IoT-platform. But cloud.onion.io might also work. My very first attempt was reading the temperature in my home office using temperature.onion.io.
    in this example I am reading sensor data (Vienna (AT) indoor). In the same way I could send data like it is done in the OLED-example at cloud.onion.io
    BR Alfred

• @Hugues-Mercusot
    Hi,

According to your post it is possible to install the home automation software Domoticz on the Omega2 by getting access to the genuine LEDE repos. I altered the /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf accordingly, rebooted and updated OPKG. Packages were downloaded. But after the install command, I get the message Unknown package 'domoticz". I searched this community and the internet for solutions, but found nothing. Could it be that the Domoticz package is removed from the LEDE repo? Is there any way you can help me out?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.