We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Documentation for MT7688

• Hello everyone.

Our company has started the development of a commercial product based on MT7688 but so far we've are very worried about support and documentation.

Being used to working with established IC providers like Texas Instruments, NXP and so on I found the documentation for MT7688 to be REALLY BAD.

The datasheet is really vague, incomplete (missing functional descriptions of most peripherals) and inconsistent. Pin naming is really bad (for example GPIO#11 pin is called GPIO0?) and pins are referred to with different names in different tables. Some terms like "watchdog" are sometimes written "watchdog" and sometimes "watch-dog", which is not a big deal but gives the impression of carelessness.

Is there better or at least more complete documentation?

On page 25 of MT7688 datasheed we can read "For more information, see the Programmer’s Guide.", but I can't seem to find this document! Does it really exist?

Thank you!

• Even for a H/W datasheet, there are a few missing info...

• @Caio-Mehlem welcome to the wonderful world of mass market applicance SoCs 😉

Note that MediaTek is on the good side! There is at least a datasheet!

For the AR9331 that was used in the Omega1, there was no official datasheet available at all, only a leaked preliminary draft with a lot of inaccuracies. When asking Qualcomm/Atheros for a datasheet as a SME, their answer was: order a million pieces first…

On the other hand, to be fair - this is a completely different market than the traditional industrial electronics you (and me) were used to with well-documented chips from TI, Atmel, NXP etc. The prices are also rather different...

BTW: There is a MT7628_ProgrammingGuide PDF floating around the internet which has useful information that also applies to the MT7688. A particular nugget for me was the "interrupt table summary" on page 11, revealing the PWM interrupt channel I needed for my WS281x driver. However, information about the PWM interrupt mask and status registers is totally lacking even there. Finally I found that piece information in a driver in the android linux kernel tree...

• @Douglas-Kryder , I looked though all of the openly available documentation. The only document which addresses low-level stuff like peripherals and general SoC behaviour seems to be the Datasheet.

@luz , I did find that MT7628_ProgrammingGuide, but in a first look it seemed to have pretty much the same content as the datasheet... But thanks for the info, I'll be looking for stuff on both documents now,

What you said about the different market positioning is true. As a product developer the main reason for going with MT7688 (and Omega) has to be the price, which seems to be unbeatable. Unfortunately we can't have everything...

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.