We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Can no longer boot from external storage after update to OpenWRT18

• To add to that I was able to download the packages from the links inside the /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf for what I needed (the ipk files) and just run them from the command line using opkg install <packagename> and if they need additional packages you will get an error. I was able to get sqlite3 running along with Node and npm so I'm happy for now will see what other issues popup.

• so openwrt 18.06 is actually lede 17.01 snapshot? i guess it is some marketing mumbo jumbo.

• @Douglas-Kryder said in Can no longer boot from external storage after update to OpenWRT18:

so openwrt 18.06 is actually lede 17.01 snapshot? i guess it is some marketing mumbo jumbo.

No.
    HW Omega2+ FW OpenWrt 18.06 based omega2p-v0.3.2-b217

BusyBox v1.28.3 () built-in shell (ash)

____       _             ____
      / __ \___  (_)__  ___    / __ \__ _  ___ ___ ____ _
     / /_/ / _ \/ / _ \/ _ \  / /_/ /  ' \/ -_) _ `/ _ `/
     \____/_//_/_/\___/_//_/  \____/_/_/_/\__/\_, /\_,_/
     W H A T  W I L L  Y O U  I N V E N T ?  /___/
     -----------------------------------------------------
       Ω-ware: 0.3.2 b217
     -----------------------------------------------------
    root@Omega-5BE1:/# ubus call system board
    {
    	"kernel": "4.14.81",
    	"hostname": "Omega-5BE1",
    	"system": "MediaTek MT7688 ver:1 eco:2",
    	"model": "Onion Omega2+",
    	"board_name": "omega2p",
    	"release": {
    		"distribution": "OpenWrt",
    		"version": "18.06-SNAPSHOT",
    		"revision": "r0+7437-d624ea1daf",
    		"target": "ramips\/mt76x8",
    		"description": "OpenWrt 18.06-SNAPSHOT r0+7437-d624ea1daf"
    	}
    }

root@Omega-5BE1:/# onion os version
    === Version Info ===
    Omega firmware: v0.3.2 b217
    onion-os - 1.0.6-1

root@Omega-5BE1:/# uname -a
    Linux Omega-5BE1 4.14.81 #0 Thu Feb 21 20:59:23 2019 mips GNU/Linux

It seems it is not yet fully perfect. It's rather a release candidate.

• @Douglas-Kryder - No it is my hack to make it recognize my SSD card as I need the space to play with NodeJS and SQLite which would not all fit on the base system. So my system is running the 17.02 lede snapshot under the covers and my ssd has the 18.02 overlays installed so I can access those tools.

Again just a hack till someone way smarter than me figures out how to get the 18.06 base system to boot from external devices.

• ok, thanks @György-Farkas & @Shane-Neighbors for the explanations. i initially could not figure out the ubus call system board output. thanks.

• @Thomas-McCarthy said in Can no longer boot from external storage after update to OpenWRT18:

Anyone know if there will be an update to let us boot from an external device with OpenWRT18?

• I have several Omega2S+ on OpenWRT 18, Omegea-ware 0.3.2 b218 booting from external storage using exactly this set of commands.

opkg update
    opkg install kmod-usb-storage-extras e2fsprogs kmod-fs-ext4 block-mount

umount /tmp/mounts/SD-P1
    echo -e "y" | (mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p1)

mkdir /mnt/mmcblk0p1
    mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmcblk0p1
    block detect > /etc/config/fstab
    uci set fstab.@mount[0].target=/overlay
    uci set fstab.@mount[0].enabled=1
    uci commit
    mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/ ; tar -C /overlay -cvf - . | tar -C /mnt/ -xf - ; umount /mnt/

then

reboot now & exit

log back in and check

df -h. 

• @Jeff-Seese Thank you, I will try that!

• @Jeff-Seese I tried that but I don't have the /tmp/mounts folder after upgrading to 3.2 b218? I seem to get it to work without the first umount. But now I can't set up a swap page on the overlay. Any suggestions?

• Just to verify you are able to reboot after these steps and see a larger overlay with df -h?

What is the command you are using to try and set up you swap file?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.