We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Configuring the omega+ethernet expansion as a Wifi AP

• Hi

I have the omega + ethernet expansion which I would like to use at my dorm room (which has a traditional wired LAN connection) to make a WiFi AP. Any idea what changes have to be made in the

/etc/config/network

and any other files like:
    /etc/config/firewall
    /etc/config/wireless
    /etc/config/dhcp

I read some instructions on the openwrt wiki and recipes page:
    https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/routedap

But I am not sure it make sense for my situation. I would be grateful if some of the experienced openwrt users here would give some ideas

• Hi Guys

While I was waiting for insights from you I tried the recipe mentioned above. But it didn't work.
    I even tried disabling the firewall but that didn't work either.

I would be grateful if someone can help.

• administrators

Hi @Nayan
    We'll get this working locally and have a tutorial up this week!

• Thanks @Lazar-Demin ... Hope to see the tutorial soon.

• Hi @Lazar-Demin ... Any updates regarding the tutorial? I am quite sure there are a few others who have similar issues which they would like to solve. Actually we would appreciate some kind of documentation for the

/etc/config/wireless
               /etc/config/network
               /etc/config/dhcp
               /etc/config/firewall

and related files so that we can tweak around them (especially the firewall). The openwrt instructions don't seem to apply completely to the omega.

P.S. Could you also tell us what is the version of openwrt the omega is running? This also seems to influence what configuration will run/not run

• administrators

@Nayan sorry! we're swamped working on finalizing the cloud for public release. We'll try to get it up this week.

The Omega's firmware is based on the 15.05 Chaos Calmer OpenWRT release. Documentation for the files you've listed above is in the works, stay tuned!

• administrators

@Nayan
    The tutorial is up, it can be found on our wiki: https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/Using-Omega-As-A-Router

Sorry for the delay, happy hacking!

• Perfect!!! Thanks guys!!

• Hi @Lazar-Demin

I tried the steps in the tutorial but it didn't work. I checked with "ifconfig" in the terminal to see if an ip address had been assigned to the omega - it had. But when I tried to connect to the internet through the wifi it just said "DNS probe started" and "DNS probe ended. No internet".

I don't know if it makes a difference, but when I connect to the dorm network from my PC, there is a captive webpage (which loads automatically) which needs authentication, without which the internet doesn't work. But I assume that even when connecting via wifi, this page should load because I am just routing the traffic from a wired connection to a wireless one...

• Hi @Nayan, you are right, the login page to your dorm wifi should be loaded if the redirect is properly configured. Can you copy and paste the output of your ifconfig?

• Hi @Boken-Lin ... Sorry for the long delay in replying... I finally got it to work.. all I had to do was replace "wpad-mini" with "wpad" using the steps described by @faulty-lee in this post

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.