We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

How to change the default username on the omega onion 2 pro

• Hello,

I am having trouble changing the "user" name "root". Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!

• @Antony While changing the user name of the root user seems like nothing, it's not really a good idea and generally not necessary. My first question is why you are considering changing the username.

Perhaps answer this question first as everything below might be redundant.

Omega2 uses OpenWrt which is based upon Linux but takes a minimal approach, therefore many of the tools you would expect on a linux system are not installed in order to save space on devices that have constrained resources, however you can usually install packages you may need.

Rather than rename the root user, I would suggest you change the root password to something complex, then add a new user and utilise sudo to perform functions requiring root permissions. This is generally considered best practice on *nix systems (I'm over-simplifying here).

To change the root password use the command: passwd

To create a new user and permit the use of sudo using commandline you need to install some utilities. These commands will install the required utilities:

opkg update
    opkg install sudo
    opkg install shadow-useradd

If opkg fails to install these due to the packages not being found, you need to update where opkg looks for the packages, to do this you need to edit /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf and uncomment lines 2 and 5, then perform the above commands again.

Once you have the packages installed you can use the command useradd to add a new user, just type the command with no parameters to see the required syntax.

• Thank you so much! I was attempting to change the user to make it more of a personal board and have everything custom.

• @Antony Probably less work to just change the banner file so it looks more custom for you. Take a look at /etc/banner

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.