We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Installing OpenWrt 22.03 on an Omega2S+

• I've managed to flash OpenWrt 22.03.0 to my Omega2S+ and it all appears to work. However, one area where I'm stumbling is trying to get OpenWrt to recognise the dual radio. The first radio is recognised, but the second one isn't. Apparently, using wifi config should be sufficient to generate configuration, but iw list is only showing a Wiphy phy0. Any pointers? Am I doomed? šŸ™‚

• Oh this is strange... I re-installed the Onion firmware, configured the WiFi via the wifisetup command, got that working, re-installed the 22.03 image, and now I can see "radio1" as well as "radio0" via uci show wireless. It seems that some config has been carried over, despite using sysupgrade -n. That all said, the WiFi doesn't appear to be working so I think I'm still up for not having two radios. Here's my current config:

wireless.radio0=wifi-device
    wireless.radio0.variant='mt7628'
    wireless.radio0.country='US'
    wireless.radio0.hwmode='11g'
    wireless.radio0.htmode='HT40'
    wireless.radio0.channel='auto'
    wireless.radio0.disabled='0'
    wireless.radio0.device_mode='apsta'
    wireless.radio0.op_mode='preference'
    wireless.radio0.type='mac80211'
    wireless.ap=wifi-iface
    wireless.ap.device='radio0'
    wireless.ap.mode='ap'
    wireless.ap.network='wlan'
    wireless.ap.ifname='ra0'
    wireless.ap.encryption='psk2'
    wireless.ap.key='some-other-key'
    wireless.ap.disabled='0'
    wireless.ap.ssid='Omega-AAAA'
    wireless.sta=wifi-iface
    wireless.sta.device='radio0'
    wireless.sta.mode='sta'
    wireless.sta.ifname='apcli0'
    wireless.sta.encryption='psk2'
    wireless.sta.network='wwan'
    wireless.sta.led='omega2p:blue:wifi'
    wireless.sta.disabled='0'
    wireless.sta.key='some-key'
    wireless.sta.ssid='some-network
    wireless.@wifi-config[0]=wifi-config
    wireless.@wifi-config[0].key='some-key'
    wireless.@wifi-config[0].ssid='some-network
    wireless.@wifi-config[0].encryption='psk2'
    wireless.radio1=wifi-device
    wireless.radio1.type='mac80211'
    wireless.radio1.path='platform/10300000.wmac'
    wireless.radio1.channel='1'
    wireless.radio1.band='2g'
    wireless.radio1.htmode='HT20'
    wireless.radio1.disabled='0'
    wireless.default_radio1=wifi-iface
    wireless.default_radio1.device='radio1'
    wireless.default_radio1.network='lan'
    wireless.default_radio1.mode='ap'
    wireless.default_radio1.ssid='OpenWrt'
    wireless.default_radio1.encryption='none'

• @huntc I can see you are trying a lot of different things, but may I suggest a more structured approach. OpenWrt 22 is not supported by Onion, however with a bit of work you can get it to work and I have some running currently under test for several months. However if it's the namespaces you want to resolve, perhaps go back to the standard Onion OpenWrt 18 firmware so you are only dealing with a single issue.

I have some recollection of OpenWrt 22 config hanging around when I was experimenting some time ago. The quick fix was to perform a factory reset before running sysupgrade.

• @huntc while I can't help much with the particular issue you seem to have (because in my setup wifi works great), I spent quite some time to get OpenWrt 22.03.0 working on Omega2S for my applications. There are a number of problems around GPIO and GPIO based i2c/spi, as described in this old forum post of mine.

In the meantime, I have solutions (in the form of patches) for all these problems, in particular for the (IMHO unusably) weird auto-numbered GPIOs. If you or anyone else here is interested, I can share those patches - I'd need to cleanup a bit to make them work for the standard Omega2S device target, as I normally build for a modified Omega2S target with a different device tree. Just let me know.

Of course I can also share my known working /etc/config/network and /etc/config/wireless if that helps, but these are non-standard as well.

• @crispyoz Thanks. I'll stick with the blessed path then. Makes more sense commercially anyhow.

• @luz Thanks so much for your reply. I did notice your other post before. I think I need to follow a blessed path with Onion given the commercial implications of support. Thus, I'll abandon my pure OpenWrt trials for now.

• @crispyoz is what you have running under test an Onion firmware version running with OpenWrt 22? We have a dependency on Python 3.9 and we would like to also use the stm32flash library that was introduced in OpenWrt 21. Would your version be available to trail, maybe from a branch?

• @timj My devices on test are for testing some customised network functionality, as @luz mentioned there are some issues with GPIO and I'm experiencing some strange PWM issues. Once I have time to work through and resolve some of these then I'll be happy to share any changes.

If you're keen to progress this, perhaps start a new thread and everyone can chip in their experiences.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.