We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Setting up Onion with network that needs an Account

• Is there anyway I can connect to a wifi network that has no wifi-password, but requires a user account? e.g. Cafe, McD's wifi hotspot etc you need to sign up and login with email to use the network.
    Currently I am in a university accommodation and it is using such method to authenticate, so is there anyway I can setup my onion with such settings?

I have tried using the GUI and CLI, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

• @Seck-Wei-Lim The way to do that is as follows:

1. Enable the Access Point (AP) on the Omega
    2. Connect the Omega to the Wifi router
    3. Connect your computer to the AP of your Omega. The Omega acts as a Wi-Fi signal repeater and forwards signal back and forth between your router and your computer.
    4. Use your computer to login to your network. Once the computer connects, your Omega should be able to access the Internet as well.

Cheers!

• Thank you for your reply, however I am still facing some difficulties.

1. Enable the Access Point (AP) on the Omega
      Does this mean I just need to turn on my Omega? Do I need any other settings for this?
    2. Connect the Omega to the Wifi router
      May I ask how do I do this? At this point I am just setting up the initial connection between my Omega and the network. Is it the section where I select from the list of detected networks, select 'None' for security and click configure? (there's no password of the network)
      If yes, then I have tried that and it failed with the message 'Unable to connect to <name of network>'

• @Boken-Lin I think that @Seck-Wei-Lim is speaking to the fact that onion, without a gui, will need a way to authenticate with captive portal type wifi hotspots (step 2 is what is the issue).

@Seck-Wei-Lim, I think that using curl and a script, you could potentially custom code a captive portal responder script to run the wifi setup and connection simultaneously. Although, I think the wifisetup script assumes just plain encryption, so I think it would still need doing on Onion, Inc.'s end šŸ˜ž

• administrators

@Seck-Wei-Lim
    For Step 1, the Access Point on the Omega is enabled by default.
    As for Step 2, if you've just unboxed your Omega, you can follow our Get Started guide to connect to your wifi network. This can be done using the Setup Wizard GUI or through the serial terminal.

Once the Omega is connected to the network, follow Steps 3 and 4 from Boken's post:

1. Connect your computer to the AP of your Omega. The Omega acts as a Wi-Fi signal repeater and forwards signal back and forth between your router and your computer.
    2. Use your computer to login to your network. Once the computer connects, your Omega should be able to access the Internet as well.

We'll definitely be implementing support for authentication in the next Console release!

• I think using commandline browser like elinks or lynx might be possible to authenticate manually, though I can't seems to find the package on Omega or in the openwrt list.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.