We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Hardware tool idea to safely remove chip

• I don't know if you folk are ham-fisted like me and always manage to bend a few pins when extracting a chip out of the dock? Well, I had an idea for a new, small tool -- a device that operates like a scissor jack that you could place under your chip and raise it in parallel. Something like this:

raise my chip

what do you think?

• I can't seem to edit this and the image doesn't display, so here's the link:

https://grabcad.com/library/scissor-jack

• 35 years ago when I was sitting in a practical class in college, our lecturer boreded me to death demonstrating the various tools for chip extraction. At the time I was a skinny teen with a sugar addiction which could only be satified with a constant supply of ice popsicles. These popsicles have wooden sticks, so I had a lot of these wooden sticks and realised they were a perfect chip extraction tool. I demonstracted their worth to my lecturer during one of his practical sessions. I never had to sit through his boring chip extraction talks ever again.

Buy a lillipop and extract your chips with the stick. It's a win win!

• @peter-garner-0 i would think that in the process of somehow getting the chip high enough to put this jack under the chip that the chip would then be high enough to easily remove it with the generic extraction tool. however, if you could devise a frame that would support the jack above the chip, or really, basically on top of the chip [for reference the jack would be upside down at this point] with an end clamp to hook under each end of the chip it might work . the jack would be extended at first and in the process of retracting it would pull the chip uniformly. truth be known i suggested this to a room full of techs and an instructor 40 years ago and i suggested somehow clamping the frame to the edges of the pcb and have the jack be on a rail system on x/y axis so it could move to any location as well as the jack be able to freely rotate.and then got high after class and forgot about it. i've never seen one of these gizmos show up anywhere yet so i figured there is something real simple about why the concept won't work and i'm just dumb enough not to see it.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.