We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Wireless setup

• Can I get some help with this please.

• @Lazar-Demin said:

@Guest In the post with all of the configuration files, can you please edit the post to format the settings with code syntax? It's incredibly hard to read with the current formatting.
    There's a guide here: https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet#code

I'll ask @Haoran-Li to take a look, meanwhile you should experiment as well, we definitely welcome innovation in the community

Do you have an update for me on this procedure did I derail following the instructions? Have not heard from Haoran.

• administrators

@Guest Hoaran's co-op term with Onion has ended. We're hoping to get him back in the fall for another co-op term 🙂

In the meantime, we've tried following the tutorial from the beginning with a factory restored Omega and it worked as expected. So we've confirmed the procedure is correct.

Please try a factory reset on your Omega and try the procedure from the tutorial again. We can provide tutorials and general advice, but we simply do not have the resources to debug cases on an individual basis.

• Fair enough if you say it worked then will try it again.

• @Lazar-Demin Could you post how you tested the configuration and the files associated with this setup so i could do some comparisons?

• @administrators after following the tutorial step by step for the 5th or 6th time and connecting my laptop to the ethernet port on the omega it fails to acquire the DHCP setting from my router. Same laptop connected directly to the router works fine? Any input or posting of files which made your connection successful would be appreciated.

• administrators

@Guest Is your laptop setup to obtain an IP Address automatically from the DNS as mentioned in Step 4?
    Can you check with another device that has an Ethernet port? Even another Omega + Ethernet Expansion will work.

All of the files on the Omega that have been modified are mentioned in the tutorial.

• @Lazar-Demin Yes it is setup to automatically collect ip address (assuming you mention DHCP server).
    And yes can move my ethernet expansion to my other omega and update.

• administrators

@Guest Ok try your other Omega as well, but I meant try connecting the Omega Ethernet Bridge to another laptop or computer, just to make sure that it's not your laptop that's the issue!

• When I connect the laptop to the network with out using the omega it obtains IP address just fine and can access the web.

• administrators

@Guest Yes I figured your laptop can connect to your network just fine without the Omega...

What I was saying is using your Omega Ethernet Bridge with another laptop or computer. So we can find out if the problem is your laptop or the Omega!

• @Lazar-Demin First computer tested was my laptop running windows vista it fails.
    Second computer tested was my laptop Macbook it failed.

I do see this on the omega terminal window:

[ 8393.870000] eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
    [ 8393.870000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
    [ 8393.880000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
    [ 8395.880000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state

But no connection can be made.

• I remember to read in one of the Tutorials about using the Omega as router, you have to give access between the wireless and the network over the network adapter. But don't ask me in witch one!

• @Luciano-S. Sorry Luciano but not sure what you are saying, so this my best guess.

The LAN and WLAN could be bridged on the omega in order for this to work and as per tutorial this is were he points out doing the following which I have incorporated into the configuration but still does not work.

CONFIGURE FIREWALL FILE
    Step 3: Connect the Two Interfaces via Firewall Configuration
    At this point you are asked to modify the /etc/config/firewall file as follows:
    add;
    line list network 'lan' to the firewall configuration file which I completed.

config zone
        option name     lan
        list   network      'wlan'
        list   network      'lan'    
        option input        ACCEPT
        option output       ACCEPT
        option forward      ACCEPT

REBOOT

• Yes something like this I had in mind. You could do a ifconfig on the omega and post here.

At least the lan IP from the Omega should be in the same range as your Home-lan. I could imagine if this is not the same, you will not reach the DHCP Server from your network.

On a windows computer you can see the IP with ipconfig /all in terminal (cmd).

@Guest if you really need this so much ... you probably should think to hire someone who does this config for you.

• @Luciano-S.
    After running ifconfig -a on the omega configured as per tutorial: Using the Omega as a WiFi Ethernet Bridge
    Here is what I got.

root@Omega-xxxx:/# ifconfig -a
    br-lan    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 40:A3:6B:C1:17:0B
              inet addr:192.168.3.1  Bcast:192.168.3.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::42a3:6bff:fec1:170b/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:157 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:20802 (20.3 KiB)  TX bytes:5884 (5.7 KiB)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 40:A3:6B:C1:17:0B
              RX packets:242 errors:0 dropped:12 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:38638 (37.7 KiB)  TX bytes:10088 (9.8 KiB)
              Interrupt:4

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
              RX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:3264 (3.1 KiB)  TX bytes:3264 (3.1 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 40:A3:6B:C1:17:0C
              inet6 addr: fe80::42a3:6bff:fec1:170c/64 Scope:Link
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:4353 (4.2 KiB)

As for the IP from the Omega being in the same range as my home-lan that has occurred to me and thought as you did this was stopping the DHCP server from seeing the Omega. Tested this by changing the IP address in this section of the /etc/config/network file.

config interface 'lan'
       option ifname 'eth0'
       option type 'bridge'
       option proto 'static'
       option ipaddr '192.168.1.98'
       option netmask '255.255.255.0'
       option ip6assign '60'

The results from  running ifconfig -a:

root@Omega-170B:/# ifconfig -a
    br-lan    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 40:A3:6B:C1:17:0B
              inet addr:192.168.1.98  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::42a3:6bff:fec1:170b/64 Scope:Link
              RX packets:190 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:23763 (23.2 KiB)  TX bytes:6088 (5.9 KiB)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 40:A3:6B:C1:17:0B
              RX packets:306 errors:0 dropped:11 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:65 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:45989 (44.9 KiB)  TX bytes:15250 (14.8 KiB)
              Interrupt:4

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
              RX packets:144 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:144 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:9792 (9.5 KiB)  TX bytes:9792 (9.5 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 40:A3:6B:C1:17:0C
              inet6 addr: fe80::42a3:6bff:fec1:170c/64 Scope:Link
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:4301 (4.2 KiB)

The output from the ipconfig /all file did not show DHCP assigned address indicating it is not seeing the LAN side of the Omega.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-72-FA-0A-B9
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::15c5:7634:3aff:347c%10(Preferred) 
       Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.52.124(Preferred) 
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218111346
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-11-51-1E-DE-00-1D-72-FA-0A-B9
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                           fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                           fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

As shown above DHCP is configured but the laptop is not getting assigned IP address.

As for needing this so much ....everyone loves a challenge and this is mine. Have been working on this a while keeping one eye on this board to see if anyone has figured out how to make this work and the other continuing to
    test and experiment.

• @Guest you have to be more attentive. If you went trough the tutorial 5 or 6 times you have to go trough again and do what is written there.

For example, in your ifconfig from the Omega, you have a br-lan. In the tutorial i dont see a br-lan?! You have to be consequent with the naming. Otherwise it will never work.
    Why not? Because you named the lan "br-lan" and in the config of the Firewall it is named just "lan" !! Find the config file on the Omega and change it to the name as in the tutorial.

@Guest said:

As for needing this so much ....everyone loves a challenge and this is mine.

Yes learning by doing is a good way to get further. But keep in mind that almost everyone is helping here for free and this without an obligation. So, for missing knowledge you have to give your self more time and should not force to much.

• @Luciano-S. Going to review the steps in " Using the Omega as a WiFi Ethernet Bridge" verbatim, see if I can find your noted "br-lan" naming convention.
    It would be appreciated if you posted your files when you went through the tutorial allowing me to see your results compared to the files I posted.
    The focal point will be on the area you point out, I am interested as you are as to what created the "br-lan" section of the ifconfig -a report shown in my reply above.
    Till then thank you and onward with the experimentation.

Showering accolades and kudos aplenty upon thee.

• This was very interesting you pointed out I named the “lan” as “br-lan” as seen in the ifconfig -a report I posted earlier.

@Luciano-S said: For example, in your ifconfig from the Omega, you have a br-lan. In the tutorial i dont see a br-lan?! You have to be consequent with the naming. Otherwise it will never work.
    Why not?
    Because you named the lan "br-lan" and in the config of the Firewall it is named just "lan" !! Find the config file on the Omega and change it to the name as in the tutorial.

There is nowhere in the tutorial, as you point out, where you are instructed to name a
    section “br-lan” and as a result nowhere did I do so. It is my theory this only appears as a function of the config -a command and not in any configuration files, whether it be network or firewall files.

• To quote me you have to write

@luciano said:
    > my quotes ... 

then it appears like that:
    @luciano said:

my quotes ...

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.