We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

GPL Source Code

• @Theodore-Borromeo

Did it build firmware for Omega2 I think not.
    Lets NOT confuse Omega with Omega2.
    The Older unit is Atheros based the new one is MediaTek based.
    They need to push the patchset that builds Omega2 firmware.

@werecatf

The Das uBoot is not the one from LEDE.

Onion Corporation = Code Bogarts

• @WereCatf good to know. I, of course, agree with your statement and have my pants firmly situated šŸ˜‰

@Larry-Pinney I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that they are Code Bogarts. It is honestly difficult in larger groups to comply with GPL even in a direct manner. Tivoization happened, where the source was released but was unable to be flashed on the board, and they went ahead and made GPL v3 just to cover that. People started running GPL v2 code on servers, kind of but not really avoiding distribution, so now we have the AGPL.

The point is: there is a difference between not having time in trying to develop for a market with a small team, and just needing more manpower and time to comply, and blatant disregard for the GPL v2. I think that Onion, Inc. will see that in order to truly utilize a linux computer for projects, you need the full source in order to correctly compile not just the kernel, but any userspace apps you hope to distribute.

I like the app idea with a fully integrated (and perhaps proprietary/closed-sourced) app store. I think that in order to satisfy the GPL v2 for the kernel and bootloader, they should ship a bare bones product with a script that you can run on bootup to download the other onion specific, non open-source bits. You could then allow for your proprietary value add to grow apart and separately from the kernel side, and thereby promote active contribution to the underlying linux core of your board. Arguably, the value isn't even in the board itself, but on the work done to make your platform that primarily resides OFF the device!

Of course, there are phones made by companies that are much larger that I feel do not satisfy the GPL v2 by virtue of a locked bootloader, which prevents flashing of any firmware or ROM you may build with source (the ability to build from furnished source anything but a non working beta ROM is debatable as well, due to the fact that these same companies most definitely do NOT furnish ALL source code for ALL releases subsequent to the initial commercial delivery, thereby again not satisfying distribution trigger).

I find all of this interesting, as this was one of my jobs at QuIC, even though IANAL.

• @Larry-Pinney Also, thanks for pointing out the mediatek board issue. I was trying to figure out a way that I could cross compile for Omega2 Plus like I did for omega, and figuring out where the source is was highly important to me (regardless of GPL v2 compliance). I want to be able to build a cross-compile toolchain via a docker image containing openwrt, so that I can easily download and build from feeds any number of cool stuff, export the resultant binary, and install to my Omega2. I know it's convoluted, but I absolutely do not want to learn how to make a separate build toolchain a la LEDE if I can avoid it.

• @Theodore-Borromeo You can use my version of LEDE to compile stuff for Omega2(+) for now, if you'd like: https://github.com/WereCatf/source.git -- it doesn't have everything the official sources would have, but the firmware-images themselves can be installed and they run just fine, if you wanted to give it a try, and you can, of course, compile extra software for your Omega2's with it even without installing custom firmware-images. Or, I can just provide you with a link to my precompiled toolchain, if that's more your speed.

• @WereCatf I will most definitely try that out. I'm first going to build an LEDE docker image (turns out it's just a special version of openwrt), and I'll point to your source tree for an unofficial omega2+ build container until we get the official Onion version šŸ™‚

• @Theodore-Borromeo Oh, I forgot to mention that you probably want to merge any changes from upstream LEDE. I am deliberately not keeping my repo current with the upstream so as to keep my changes easily visible for anyone who happens to take a peek, so they can implement or add to them at will.

The following should work for merging latest stuff from upstream:

git remote add upstream https://github.com/lede-project/source.git
    git fetch upstream
    git merge upstream/master

• @Theodore-Borromeo

Onion Corporation is only interested in money...same as any attorney.

They took the money...shipped the devices without supplying the source code...and they are now repeat offenders ... it's not like there were no complaints about the first Omega and it's source code...Don't repeat offenders commonly receive harsher penalties?

WHY do large international corporations such as D-Link and Netgear have GPL Source downloads available?

Could it be that courts have enforced the terms of the GPL?
    And they have "learned their lesson" by contributing an "undisclosed amount" to the FSF...et.al.... could be šŸ™‚

Onion Corporation used the GPL Code and still disregards the license.

Always keep in mind that it is the purpose of the GPL to enable the users to exercise his freedoms. Specifically, the freedom to make modified versions of the program, and to run such modified versions of the program.

The day you release the product is the same day you MUST release the "complete corresponding source code"

Onion Corporation shipped however they failed to PUSH the code.

"blatant disregard for the GPL"...this adequately describes the Onion Corporation.

• I think blatant disregard != negligence != ignorance, right?

I think the prudent first step is to try and build this thing (which I'll attempt), figure out what if anything is missing, and ask for specific help with issues. Ultimately, the release of source code benefits them most of all, as PRs and contributions to your board ensure its survival and thriving, right? Though I do want source code for the kernel so that I can build the version of the gspca drivers that work with ps3eye cameras, I am not myself interested in U-Boot. However, I do see your point in complying with the GPL. I would think that ultimately, Mediatek must have previously released the U-Boot AND some sort of kernel source for this board, and Onion could have done their part to satisfy the GPL v2 by releasing what Mediatek owed the world when Mediatek released it to Onion, Inc. Probably would look a lot similar to https://github.com/MediaTek-Labs/linkit-smart-7688-uboot from the Linkit line of boards. . . In my opinion, a simple confirmation that the above github repo (so long as it is alive and up) is the same software omega2+ uses would satisfy that portion, right?

• @WereCatf https://github.com/borromeotlhs/source/tree/upstream_master_merge is the latest upstream merge to your master. I forked so as to be able to push and build your version and the merged with upstream versions from my dockerfile. Starting on the Dockerfile now. . .

• @Larry-Pinney said in GPL Source Code:

Why do you think i made this request 4 month ago?
    http://community.onion.io/topic/984/license-onion-omega-onionos

I wanted a statement from them ... and still would like it!

I specially liked the answer from the newbie ...

Not a priority, not an issue

• @Theodore-Borromeo

I have a nice OMEGA2.dts file ...however I'm under NO obligation to share said file....as I did not ship a device with it installed.
    My device runs quite well...but it's missing many things...

I think you have entirely missed the POINT to wit :

The thread topic is "GPL Source Code" and we have NONE.

Always keep in mind that it is the purpose of the GPL to enable the users to exercise his freedoms. Specifically, the freedom to make modified versions of the program, and to run such modified versions of the program.

NO the bootloader supplied is NOT the one from https://github.com/MediaTek-Labs/linkit-smart-7688-uboot

It may be a modified version thereof....but that's not the POINT.

I do not really care what "you are interested in" ... It's GPL compliance as required ... that is THE TOPIC.

• @Theodore-Borromeo you are evil šŸ˜›

666 Profile views

• Just to put in my two cents worth, I can confirm that the repository that @WereCatf supplied access to (https://github.com/WereCatf/source.git) works well for me and I have used it to produce working images (though without Omega2 specific stuff) and a usable toolchain.

Will also be trying the update info provided:

The following should work for merging latest stuff from upstream:

git remote add upstream https://github.com/lede-project/source.git
    git fetch upstream
    git merge upstream/master

and let people know my experiences if they are of any help.

But bottom line is that as @Larry-Pinney says:

We are entitled to the source code and Onion Corporation are obligate to provide it.*

@Luciano-S said above:

Why do you think i made this request 4 month ago?
    http://community.onion.io/topic/984/license-onion-omega-onionos

And requests for the official source code go back a lot longer than that (nearly 1 year) without any meaningful response. See the following post from me 12 months ago:

@Kit-Bishop said in Error building i2c-tools:

Further to my previous comment, I have already suggested in a separate post (can't find it right now), that instead of the git://git.openwrt.org/15.05/openwrt.git repository as referenced in https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/Cross-Compile, that the repository of the official Omega release(s) be made available.

That way, anyone could make their own images with any desired modifications (e.g. additional packages, fewer packages, patches to kernel and/or packages etc.) and know that at least what they are building is close to (give or take any changes they have made) to the official release.

• @Kit-Bishop

type ' git show 5cd49bb067cadfeba6eb7f09982f76558101ad5d '

The Code Bogarting starts about the same time šŸ™‚

My point here IS they know better but fail to DO better.

• @Luciano-S. For real, tho. And I didn't know that 'GPL source code' meant pushing someone else's agenda, versus just talking about stuff related to the source code. . .

In any case, I don't care enough to push anyone to do anything. I bought the omega and was satisfied with what it was (but I didn't expect it to be open source at all). I bought the omega 2 just to see what this newer version had to offer, and I realize that the source access and instructions on how to build my own firmware would make me appreciate this a LOT more.

However, I will vote with my money for an open system that DOES provide source and build instructions over one that doesn't. I should mention that I also funded and bought like 5 Alpha version of C.H.I.P.s and two pocketCHIPs as they were a little better about this kind of thing (and it had BT 4.0 to boot built in)

• @Theodore-Borromeo said in GPL Source Code:

However, I will vote with my money for an open system that DOES provide source and build instructions over one that doesn't.

I like this idea a lot! If the company doesn't already provide the source code to your expectations, DON'T BUY THE PRODUCT in the first place. Check before you buy to know what you are getting into, and stop complaining on forums! If you are not the copyright owner, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it except perhaps informing the actual copyright owners for any possible license violations.

I was bit by an alleged open source claim from a company developing a video editing software. They would sell (actually a yearly subscription) extra packages for increased functionality. Well, they never released the source code for the base system, and they added time bombs into the executables. When I found out, that was the end of it and I never looked back.

That being said, I think that it is a big mistake to offer a product so versatile as the Omega(2(+)) without proper documentation, especially if it may eventually fall into the hand of people having different expectations and different knowledge levels, and it certainly did this time. Documentation is a big priority, and I see that the Onion Team is hard at work at it. For example, the docs now show how to use an Omega2 WITHOUT a dock, and different firmware upgrade strategies are also listed, all issues that first appeared in this community forum. KUDOS FOR THAT!

Now, for the Open Source aspect, it seems that there are regular updates here:
    https://github.com/OnionIoT/
    There are lots of stuff in there, and components on different levels of the operating system. Have a look from time to time to see what's new, if it might be of any use to you. As of now, my feeling is that Onion have plenty on their plate and are putting their energy on both fronts, with a clear priority on documentation. And that is the responsible way to go, imo.

All that being said, I hate the Linux system because it's overly confusing to understand and use and so vulnerable to criminal attacks because of its complex structure. It's now a myth to say that Linux (and even Macs) don't have viruses. Android (Linux based) is now a big target these days. No enthusiast hackers can truly understand all the Linux system components, and they are all inter-related somehow. In the mid-long term, I want to totally replace my Omega2+ firmware with a different Operating System. I don't know what it is yet. I may try FreeBSD/Mips just for fun.

So guys, I support your right to build a good, working and efficient Omega(2(+)) firmware on a philosophical level. If the information is never released, to me, it means that there may have vulnerabilities that can be exploited by criminals, and that's not acceptable to me. It's true that if all the needed source code and config files are out there, an army of proficient programmers would help flush the bugs out in no time, the beauty of Open Source. I think that Onion would benefit tremendously from that, and perhaps allocate more resources to the much needed documentation project. Clearly, the ball is in the Onion camp!

• @fossette said in GPL Source Code:

If you are not the copyright owner, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it except perhaps informing the actual copyright owners for any possible license violations.

With GPL programs running on the Onion Hardware such as but not limited to Das uBoot, busybox, LEDE, and of course the kernel...there are thousands of copyright owners...and any single one of those persons or entities can file in court...and if so would do so in there own jurisdiction ... think about that.

• @WereCatf built a docker container buildroot for the lede project at borromeotlhs/omega2 on dockerhub.

I, probably incorrectly, chose the AR71xx as the target, but didn't see any other option. I figured a MIPS arch guess would be best. Also included objdump, motion and some other video streaming packages as I'm interested in using omega2 with webcams. It all built slowly with 'make -j1', and the resultant images are in that docker image (I think). Started pushing last night, and when I woke up this morning, my stupid laptop was restarting for updates, so I'm not sure it even finished pushing correctly šŸ˜ž

I'll post the dockerfile on github soon. Wife is mad at me for spending so much time yesterday getting docker up and running on Windows. . .

• @Theodore-Borromeo said in GPL Source Code:

I, probably incorrectly, chose the AR71xx as the target, but didn't see any other option. I figured a MIPS arch guess would be best.

Why didn't you, you know, ask? There are things like e.g. endianness, which need to be correct -- you can't run big-endian binaries on a little-endian system! The correct profile is, in menuconfig, Mediatek Ralink MIPS -> MT7688 based boards -> Onion Omega2+, or manually, ramips omega2p.

• @WereCatf I was just testing the ability for building to see if my Linux environment would build something, and I wanted to start from the omega 1 that I knew should have worked.

I'll fix that in v2 for the specific omega2 šŸ˜‰

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.