We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Omega 2+ Overheating and High Current Problem

• Hi,

I have an Omaga 2+ board. I bougth it without Dock. When first using I tried to use LM1117 regulator to get 3.3V. After 1 minute regulator get very warm and board closed. I changed a few regulators and I could use omega about 30 minutes with a fan cooler when it takes 600mA current. And now I cannot connect omega web console becuase when I tried to connect, board is closing immediatly. Why is it happening? Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

There isn' t any program like wi-fi manager which is using over %99 CPU in my top display.

Thanks very much.

• @Oguzhan-Baser said in Omega 2+ Overheating and High Current Problem:

Hi,

I have an Omaga 2+ board. I bougth it without Dock. When first using I tried to use LM1117 regulator to get 3.3V. After 1 minute regulator get very warm and board closed.

Your title makes it sound like your Omega2+ is overheating, but this clarifies that it is actually the regulator. That is to be expected when using a wasteful linear regulator with a high current device, if you fail to provide sufficient heatsinking and cooling.

There isn' t any program like wi-fi manager which is using over %99 CPU in my top display.

CPU load isn't really relative to power draw, unless you have a system which implements clock frequency scaling or sleep, neither of which is likely the case here. But that is why you may hear you laptop fan come on under high CPU load.

• Thanks for your answer.

CPU load isn't really relative to power draw, unless you have a system which implements clock frequency scaling or sleep, neither of which is likely the case here. But that is why you may hear you laptop fan come on under high CPU load.

If you see this post you could understand why I said that.

And I tried to use this regulator first. It can gives 800mA output current. And in the theory, Omega should take 100-200mA. So using without heatsink shouldn' t be a problem. After that, I tried to use this regulator. It can gives 3A output current. So, I don't think there is a problem with regulator.

Thanks again...

• @Oguzhan-Baser
    You are not alone. Have you seen this post?
    I'm afraid - unfortunately - you can't do too much. Try out @fossette's advices.

Good luck.

• re: linear IC regulator overheating

All these IC regulators' power rating is based on the assumption it is properly cooled. Without heatsink or mounted-n-soldered to the PCB power distribution plane for heat dissipation is going to cause major problem.

The above is especially for linear regulators such as LT1117-3.3 and friends, etc. since the voltage drop (5 - 3.3 = 1.7V) will turn into heat.

Current budget for Omega2+ alone by itself should be 300mA and per post #1, you've also add other loads. These altogether will dictate your DC power supply design. Use a high-efficient switcher (see my thread in "Project" subforum for inspiration) could help a bit.

ccs_hello

• @ccs-hello
    OP has got a problem. But that problem is not some power supply problem.

BTW
    @Oguzhan-Baser said in Omega 2+ Overheating and High Current Problem:

After that, I tried to use this regulator.

This one is an SMPS.

• OP's Omega2 may have several issues, however a fundamental one needs to be addressed first:
    it needs a good power supply.

His first attempt (LM1117-3.3 linear regulator) needs a heatsink. It also needs a 10uF input capacitor and 100uF output capacitor.

Omega2 consumes at least 250mA and has an impulse demand when WiFi section is turned on. Thus Omega2 needs to have a large capacitor in its Power_in side, thick "soldered" power supply wires throughout, and a good quality power supply (say 5V 2A then uses a 5V -> 3.3V switcher.)

His second attempt 5V-3.3V buck converter (MP1584 based) is a partial kit. That module needs to add a separate 22uF 6V output capacitor or it won't work. The seller simply cheaps out. It's a common practice over there.

With these fundamentals fully addressed, then that's the right time to tackle other potential issues.

ccs_hello

• Thanks for your replies.

@ccs-hello said in Omega 2+ Overheating and High Current Problem:

OP's Omega2 may have several issues, however a fundamental one needs to be addressed first:
    it needs a good power supply.

His first attempt (LM1117-3.3 linear regulator) needs a heatsink. It also needs a 10uF input capacitor and 100uF output capacitor.

You gave good advices, but in omega documantation, it used only LD1117 regulator. LD1117 and LM1117 are almost same regulators. But I thought like you and added capacitors reguator circuits. But the result was same. So I don' t think there is a regulator or power problem.

@György-Farkas said in Omega 2+ Overheating and High Current Problem:

@Oguzhan-Baser
    You are not alone. Have you seen this post?
    I'm afraid - unfortunately - you can't do too much. Try out @fossette's advices.

Good luck.

If there is a product error why am I repair it? I can send omega back(Because 9$ makes very much in Turkey .. ). But I have to be sure before making this .. 🙂

Thanks a lot...

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.