We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Adding multiple Ethernet Ports

• @brolly759
    Aren't the ethernet modules stackable? If so, just add an expansion/power-dock2 and 2 - 4 ethernet modules and you should have 2 - 4 individually addressable ethernet ports.
    [edit] The Onion Docs don't explicitly state whether or not it's possible to stack multiple ethernet expansions together, so I'd check this first with the HelpDesk before investing in the hardware. If they respond that it's possible, please let us know so that we update our O2 community knowledgebase as well.[/edit]

Adding a switch extends your network topology to accommodate multiple other devices, but the individual port control (firewall, up/down, bridging, vlans etc.) is limited to the single ethernet port on the O2. Arguably, a managed switch allows for more complexity in the configuration of your infrastructure, but control of that from the O2 device itself is more complicated than having several physically connected ethernet ports.
    Another possibility could be one of the docks with a usb port, adding a usb hub (powered) and several usb/ethernet adaptors.

• If you need a compact affordable LEDE mini-router, check this: https://tinyurl.com/ybdero9d

0_1516096080214_1pc-Router-som9331-ar9331-openwrt-wifi-module-low-power-consumption-10-GPIO-64m.jpg

I have one myself, you can even add a 3/4G usb stick...

• That is an awesome little hub but I am building my own IoT hub so I dont want that. (Plus its based off a lower speed chipset) Thanks though.

I just tried stacking 2 Ethernet boards, it actually made the first one stop working. No new interface in ifconfig and logread doesn't show any message. I am assuming I need custom harmonics?

• @brolly759 said in Adding multiple Ethernet Ports:

stacking 2 Ethernet boards

There is just one Ethernet PHY inside the IC MT7668 used in Omega2.
    You can stack 10 Ethernet docks (each only has a magnetics, and nothing else) but at the end of day,
    nothing can be fished off the thin air...

Bottom-line, the answer to your original inquiry is NO, if you are looking for multiple physical NICs.

• @ccs-hello said in Adding multiple Ethernet Ports:

You can stack 10 Ethernet docks (each only has a magnetics, and nothing else) but at the end of day,
    nothing can be fished off the thin air...

Fair point šŸ˜‰ I got carried away with the possibility of easy extensibility and completely forgot about the basic underlying electronics. My bad...

• @ccs-hello actually, there is a 4-port switch and a total of 5 ethernet ports inside the MT7688. The problem is, only the pins for a single port are available on the Omega2. With the Omega2S (the SMT version), all pins are available and you could use the 4 other ethernet ports.

• @luz

Assuming it's 7688AN
    the IC's pins 40,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,54,55,56,57
    have to be mapped to Omega2S' external metal can's leads. Do you have info they are available?

• administrators

@ccs-hello https://github.com/OnionIoT/Onion-Media/blob/master/Pinouts/Omega2S.png
    omega2s pinout

GPIOs 14-29 can be used for 4 additional ethernet ports.

• @Lazar-Demin
    Thanks! That's very helpful!
    (GPIO 14-29 maps to MDI P1 thru P4.)

BTW, last time when I inquired about buying few Omega2S, the answer was "need few hundreds"... The situation might have changed.

• Beta Tester

@ccs-hello did you ever get the 4 ports of ethernet working with an Omega2S?

• @Bruce-Muff
    I don't have an Omega2S (need a bulk purchase, not a qty 1 product) so no way to test it out.

• Beta Tester

@ccs-hello You can now purchase quantity of 1 at Mouser, as well as our Development Kits, which include one of two dev boards (either with eMMC or SD Card) and 4 modules, cables, and antenna. https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=omega2s

• Hi! I really need 2 eth ports in bridge on omega2s. Please help. I have no link on the second port even after switching pins to AGPIO. Anyone here with a working l2 switch? Tnx.

• @Bruce-Muff
    Thanks Bruce glad to know the (new) approach.
    At least, that's new to me.
    Now I have to think hard if should go to that direction, that is:
    someone need to use EasyPCB to build a simple prototype PCB (0.05" pitch <-- 1.27mm pitch) with some essential parts.

To be honest, IMHO I think the best use cases would be avoiding the "yet another consumer router" approach but IoT focused. However, the latter has to be power efficient, i.e., support sleep mode. Hint hint.

• @Dino-Ciuffetti said in Adding multiple Ethernet Ports:

Hi! I really need 2 eth ports in bridge on omega2s. Please help. I have no link on the second port even after switching pins to AGPIO. Anyone here with a working l2 switch? Tnx.

I intended to try it, and made a PCB with two Ethernet jacks (https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/3Ix9lK3Z). But then the project only needed one port, and I didn't find the time yet to dig deeper.

As there are MT7688 based routers using OpenWrt (Minibox V2.0, androegg.de), one could try to look at those firmwares or ask the people who configured it.

Basically, I'd guess it's tinkering with /etc/config/network and the swconfig utility.

What did you try so far?

• I know this topic is quite old, but did anyone succeed in making eth0-4 work on the Omega2S in the meantime? I am just wondering, bc all documentation on the Omega2S i found so far only mentions 1 ethernet port - if it supported 5, why not say so in the docs? Of course the datasheet of the MT7688 clearly specifies 5 ethernet ports in IoT gateway mode, so why not in the Omega2S documentation?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.