We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Omega2S+ LTE - GNSS/GPS positionning : no init file

• Hello,

I just received a few weeks ago my new Omega2S+ - LTE.
    So far it works well: no problem to launch, to connect to it, to update the OS, etc.
    I use a french LTE network, and I am able to provide internet to a computer thrue an Onion Ethernet module (so without wifi). I am really satisfied.

But until today, I have been unable to use the GNSS / GPS positionning.
    I've used this guide: https://onion.io/omega2-lte-guide/ ; and followed some explanations here : https://docs.onion.io/omega2-docs/using-gps-expansion.html#using-gps-expansion

I read somewhere I had to use the following command at each boot :

o2lte gnss enable

that gave me:

Enabling GNSS data collection
    Done

Then I called

ubus call gps info

that always gave me:

{
    "signal": false
    }

I tested different antennas in open fields, so it does not come from elsewhere than the Omega2S+.

So I decided to simply read raw NMEA strings. I am familiar to execute cat /dev/... commands. But first, following the guide, I had to disable the ogps daemon:

/etc/init.d/gps stop
    /etc/init.d/gps disable

Each command sent the same answer:

-ash: etc/init.d/gps: not found

And indeed, I searched and did not find any gps initialization file in /etc/init.d folder...
    Is it normal ?

Besides I tried to update opkg then install ogps, but it was already done:

opkg update
    opkg install ogps

And when I listed all the available ubus services, I do had gps listed:

ubus list

And last but not least, by trying the following command (in order to re-update opkg and re-install ogps) ... :

opkg remove ogps

... I got :

No package removed
    Collected errors :
    print_dependents_warning: Package ogps is depended upon by packages:
    print_dependents_warning: omega2-lte-base
    print_dependents_warning: These might cease to work if package ogps is removed.

So I decided to stop my digging and to come here to seek help.
    Any recommandation ?

Thanks in advance,

William

• administrators

@William-G
    For the etc/init.d/gps: not found issue: there was a typo in the Omega2 LTE Guide, it should be /etc/init.d/ugps

/etc/init.d/ugps stop
    /etc/init.d/ugps disable

Our mistake! We've fixed the typo in the guide.

And for the original lack of GPS positioning data, it sounds like it's not able to get a lock on enough satellites. The route you were pursuing - reading the raw NMEA strings - is definitely the best first step in debugging this and should provide you some more details.

What kind of antennas did you test? Can you share a photo of your setup?

• Hi there,

Thanks for your answer, and your patience.
    Just to let you know, I managed to have a gnss signal. I just work in a shitty place for gps tests, with mountains all over my house šŸ˜•

Have a nice day !

• administrators

@William-G glad to hear you got it working!

GPS (and GNSS) generally work best with a clear view of the sky. Stronger antennas also help!
    We've updated the Omega2 LTE guide to include a small section on debugging GNSS: https://onion.io/omega2-lte-guide/#gnss-debug

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.