We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Driver Install - USB to Ethernet Dongle

• Hello,

I have an ethernet-usb dongle: ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet

I can find the package here:

https://openwrt.org/packages/pkgdata_owrt18_6/kmod-usb-net-asix-ax88179#packagekmod-usb-net-asix-ax88179

But I can not find it on any of my distributions...
    7e1f6e57-5a68-4e16-b738-cada312825e4-image.png

Any ideas?

• @Lucas-Gozalvez Uncomment line 1 of your distfeeds.conf, then run opkg update then install it using

opkg install kmod-usb-net-asix-ax88179

• it worked!

• Excellent

• Hi again!,

I was able to see the package to setup the driver:
    kmod-usb-net-asix - 4.14.206-1 - Kernel module for USB-to-Ethernet Asix convertors

But when running opkg install I got this:

opkg install kmod-usb-net-asix
    Installing kmod-usb-net-asix (4.14.206-1) to root...
    Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06-SNAPSHOT/targets/ramips/mt76x8/packages/kmod-usb-net-asix_4.14.206-1_mipsel_24kc.ipk
    Collected errors:
     * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-net-asix:
     *      kernel (= 4.14.206-1-da4f999cff891c50c6d11774cc24f4e2) * 
     * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-net-asix.

when I run uname -r to know the Omega Kernel version I got this:

uname -r

I'm using latest omega bin version.

Is there any way to use a distribution package where the packages are compatible with this Omega Kernel Version?

• administrators

@Lucas-Gozalvez opkg is very very careful about installing kernel modules.

To be able to install a kmod from a package repo, the kernel version AND the kernel hash of the package has to match that of your device.
    In other words, you can only install kernel modules that were compiled with the exact instance of the kernel your device is running.

Run opkg list-installed | grep kernel to get the version and hash of the kernel your device is running

So in this case, kmod-usb-net-asix is compiled for kernel version 4.14.206. Right off the bat it's incompatible since your Omega2 is running kernel version 4.14.81.
    But, even if kmod-usb-net-asix was compiled for kernel version 4.14.81, you wouldn't be able to install it since the hash wouldn't match your kernel.

Two ways to get around this:

1. Install kernel modules from the Onion package repos (this will work if you're running the latest official firmware. More info on that here)
    2. Build your own Omega2 firmware (based on OnionIoT/source) and include this kernel module in the firmware

EDIT:
    I realize Option 1 doesn't work if the kernel module you need isn't in the Onion package repo. We'll add kmod-usb-net-asix so you can test it out. Will post here again when it's available.

Option 1 doesn't work if the kernel module you need isn't in the Onion package repo.
    So we've added kmod-usb-net-asix to the Onion package repo.
    Update to the latest b249 firmware and try installing kmod-usb-net-asix. Let us know how it goes!

• @Lazar-Demin said in Driver Install - USB to Ethernet Dongle:

So we've added kmod-usb-net-asix to the Onion package repo.
    Update to the latest b249 firmware and try installing kmod-usb-net-asix. Let us know how it goes!

Amazing!!!

We were building our custom firmware just for this package.

Thanks in advanced. I'll let you know how it goes

• UPDATE. This is working nice and smooth. If anybody wants to know more, let me know.

• Hi, I have generic usb to ethernet device connected to mini dock. I have tried to install kmod-usb-net, but i got this error
    62709f5a-ad67-4b4e-bf20-84bac9d6fc63-image.png

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.