We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Some Reminders/Hints About Using OPKG

• I have noticed several posts relating to issues with using opkg to install packages.

So I thought some reminders/hints relating to its usage may be appropriate:

1. MOST IMPORTANT opkg does NOT remember its package list over a reboot/power off. Therefore it is essential that before trying to install a package you do:

opkg update

then try the install again

2. Some of the repositories in /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf are commented out and the package you want may be in one of these commented out repositories. So, edit this file and rerun opkg update before trying to down load a package that has failed.
      Not sure why some are commented out, probably systems still in a bit of a state of flux pending updates.

3. The following command is your friend when looking for what you want:

opkg list | grep <partial-name>

where <partial-name> is part of what you think the package may be called.
      This will give you a list of all packages that have <partial-name> somewhere in their name.
      A package is not always called exactly what you think it might be

4. Do:

opkg help

to get a list of all the opkg options and commands and spend a bit of time exploring them and their usages.

Enjoy šŸ™‚

• To find things you can also do this:

opkg find python-*

• @Samuel-Mathieson Yup, that will find things that start with "python-"

• @Kit-Bishop Well, opkg find "*python*" works too.

• @WereCatf Good to know! I am used to piping output to grep to find things

• @Kit-Bishop Well, the outcome is more-or-less the same, so it doesn't really matter that much. But for beginners doing it the way I just described would perhaps be easier to understand, ie. using only opkg for it. grep is an extremely handy tool, though.

• @WereCatf Quite agree! I tend to use grep mainly because I'm lazy and don't have to remember the details and capabilities of the command in question. Though I admit that properly understanding grep and its usages can be a bit daunting for those who are relatively new to Linux

• It should also be noted that mixing both is great as well. For example:

opkg find python-* | grep ssl

Will find all python packages that contain the characters "ssl"

• @Samuel-Mathieson Why bother, when opkg find "python-*ssl*" would work for that?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.