We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

WS281x, SK6812 driver for the Omega2? [Solved]

• Very cool! So I'm planning to order some SK6812 for a small project. But it would be first time for me building and installing a kernel driver on Omega2. Could you make a small howto guide?

• @Anders-Öster
    If you want to build it yourself, you need to install a LEDE buildroot (see onion docs and maybe my post here).
    Once you have setup that, you can:

• add the plan44 feed to feeds.conf.default by adding a line
      src-git plan44 https://github.com/plan44/plan44-feed.git;master
    • have LEDE fetch the latest stuff from all feeds with
      ./scripts/feeds update -a
    • "install" (meaning: make ready for being included in compilation) the p44ledchain package with
      ./scripts/feeds install kmod-p44-ledchain
    • enable the package for actually being built in the configuration
      (make menuconfig, then select it under kernel modules -> other modules -> kmod-p44-ledchain)
    • build the package with
      make package/p44-ledchain/compile

Now you'll have the compiled package in bin/targets/ramips/mt7688/packages/kmod-p44-ledchain_....ipk

For those that don't want to invest the time (1-2h build time for the initial LEDE make run) and disk space (~15GB), here's a built package for p44-ledchain.

Sadly, because Onion still hasn't published their complete LEDE build environment (yes, @administrators, my ceterum censeo once again) it is not possible to build a kernel module that actually installs cleanly on the omega firmware. [Update: Luckily it is published by now]

So, either way (self-built or downloaded from the link above), you need to override kernel version dependency checks when installing

cd /tmp
    wget http://plan44.ch/downloads/experimental/kmod-p44-ledchain_4.4.61%2B0.9-2_mipsel_24kc.ipk
    opkg install --force-depends kmod-p44-ledchain*

And because of the kernel version mismatch, insmod does not find the module automatically, so you need to specify the full path:

insmod /lib/modules/4.4.61/p44-ledchain.ko ledchain0=0,200,2

(this is for 200 WS2813 connected to PWM0)

good luck!

• @luz

Thanks for the howto!

• Hi
    I'm wondering if (and how) it is possible to dim the LED with the p44-ledchain module? (keyword: change of duty cycle)
    Regards
    Laurent

• @Laurent-Nittler yes, you can dim (and color) every LED separately!

In fact, the bytes you write to the /dev/ledchainX device correspond to the brightness (duty cycle) of the red, green and blue part of the LEDs (and a separate white LED for SK6812). With this, you can set any color and any brightness.

Let's assume you have WS2813 connected to PWM0, then

echo -en '\xFF\xFF\xFF' >/dev/ledchain0

switches the first LED to full white brightness (255=0xFF = full on for all three R,G,B channels. Whereas:

echo -en '\x7F\x7F\x7F' >/dev/ledchain0

sets all three LEDs to half duty cycle (127=0x7F)

A somewhat dimmed green (red=off, green=160=0xA0, blue=off) would be:

echo -en '\x00\xA0\x00' >/dev/ledchain0

and so forth.

To control more LEDs, just write a longer string to /dev/ledchain0, 3 bytes for every LED in the chain (4 for RGBW LEDs like SK6812).

Of course, you wouldn't do that with echo except for the first manual tests, but using some script/program that calculates the string to be sent to /dev/ledchain0.

• Thanks Luz for this explanation.
    I forgot that HSL values could be transformed into the RGB values.

I used python to control the 8 LED ring (WS2812b) using code like

with open('/dev/ledchain0','w') as export:
    			export.write(col_string)

where 'col_string' is a a text string containing all the RGB values for the hole ring.
    However sometimes (especially when I have to calculate the RGB values and then compose the string), I get an error 'ValueError: invalid \x escape'

Maybe this isn't the best way to control the LED with python and you can advise a better one.

Regards

• @LaurentN Although I'm not fluent at all in Python, I'd say there's no reason why Python should not work fine controlling LED chains with p44-ledchain.

@LaurentN said in WS281x, SK6812 driver for the Omega2? [Solved]:

However sometimes (especially when I have to calculate the RGB values and then compose the string), I get an error 'ValueError: invalid \x escape'

That sounds like you are trying to use the literal string syntax (the backslash escapes in \xhh form, with hh being a two-digit hex number) to construct your string, but maybe in a way that sometimes outputs only one digit instead of two, which could be the cause of the ValueError?

Probably there's a more direct way to get numeric byte values into a string or byte array in Python.

• Re: [WS281x](SK6812 driver for the Omega2? [Solved])

Hi.
    In the last days I played a bit with Python to get the WS281x working wirth Luz' module.
    As I want to use HLS color schema (it allows to change the luminosity of the color by only one number), I programmed a function HLS to RGB color string:

def hls2rgb(h,l,s):
    	r, g, b = colorsys.hls_to_rgb(h,l,s)
    	shr = str(hex(int(r * 255.0)))
    	shg = str(hex(int(g * 255.0)))
    	shb = str(hex(int(b * 255.0)))
    	# print ([int(255.0*r), int(255.0*g), int(255.0*b)])
    	if len(shr) == 3:
    		shr = shr[0:2] + str(0) + shr[2]
    	if len(shg) == 3:
    		shg = shg[0:2] + str(0) + shg[2]
    	if len(shb) == 3:
    		shb = shb[0:2] + str(0) + shb[2]
    	col_led_string = shr[2:4].decode('hex') +shg[2:4].decode('hex') + shb[2:4].decode('hex')

By using the following additional function, it allows using a 2 dimensional color matrix which is converted in the corresponding hex color string needed for the module. (It might be useful and easier to use a matrix to handle LED chains instead of a string of hexadigitals)

def hls2rgb_hexstring(hls_matrix):
    	dim1 = len(hls_matrix)
    	try:
    		dim2t = len(hls_matrix[0])
    	except:
    		dim2t = 0
    	if dim2t == 0:
    		dim2 = dim1
    		dim1 = 1
    	else: 
    		dim2 = dim2t

if dim1 == 1:
    		h = hls_matrix[0]/360.0
    		l = hls_matrix[1]/100.0
    		s = hls_matrix[2]/100.0
    		col_led_string = hls2rgb(h,l,s)
    		return col_led_string
    	else:
    		col_led_string=""
    		for i in range(0,dim1):
    			h = hls_matrix[i][0]/360.0
    			l = hls_matrix[i][1]/100.0
    			s = hls_matrix[i][2]/100.0
    			col_led_string = col_led_string + hls2rgb(h,l,s)
    		return col_led_string

To display a color gradient among several LED's (here 40) one has to run this code, which is using both function above:

color_start = 0
    color_end = 359
    nr_led = 40
    lum = 2
    sat = 100
    colorMatrix = []
    for i in range(color_start,color_end, abs(color_end-color_start)/nr_led):
    	colorMatrix.append([i,lum,sat])
    	#print [i,lum, sat]
    print colorMatrix
    with open('/dev/ledchain0','w') as export:
    	export.write(hls2rgb_hexstring(colorMatrix))

• @luz does it work for the omega 2+ version with kernel 4.4.6?

• @Jakofff-Parker sorry for the 2 month delay, must have missed a notification here!

The answer is yes.

The p44-ledchain module does not depend on many kernel internals, the only subsystem it actually uses is hrtimer (high resolution timers), so it should run on any not really ancient kernel version.
    On the other hand, it strictly limited to the MT7688 SoC, as it directly uses the PWM hardware without any abstraction. So it's good for Omega2/2S, LinkItSmart and possibly HLK7688.

• Hi, just a note regarding WS2811 I had a go with @luz's driver and I found out that even my led strip is branded as WS2811 (BTF-LIGHTING WS2811) it didn't work properly if I set the ledchain to type 0 (ledchain0=0,200,0), but it did work well using type 2 with both 3.3V and 5V signals.

BTW, many thanks @luz for the driver!

• @Marti-MG Thanks for this information!

I made a separate mode for the WS2811 because the timing specs from the datasheet I had were definitely not compatible with those I knew working with the WS2812/13. But I had no WS2811 to test back then.

I'm not too surprised that apparently the datasheet is not correct. I saw the same for WS2813 which had the T0L time specified 300nS, which is definitely not working with real WS2813 as I found out.

The modes are actually just timing numbers in a table in the driver, see line 157 in p44-ledchain.c. So it would be simple to nudge the WS2811 entry towards the WS2813 timing until it works.

For the time being, I just added a note to the p44-ledchain README.md to also try WS2813 mode in case WS2811 does not work.

• @LaurentN
    export.write(hls2rgb_hexstring(colorMatrix))
    TypeError: expected a string or other character buffer object

alt text

• Mr @luz! Can you write full tutorial? It's very difficult for beginners like me.
    I want to control RGB LED strip WS2813.

• @luz
    @Jakofff-Parker said in WS281x, SK6812 driver for the Omega2? [Solved]:

@luz does it work for the omega 2+ version with kernel 4.4.6?

When I did the opkg install, I got the error:

* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-p44-ledchain:
     * 	kernel (= 4.14.81-1-5c1ea8a282d7395b1a2c86bf6b1669fc) * 

then, after:

echo-en '\ xFF \ x00 \ x00 \ xFF \ x00 \ x00'> / dev / ledchain0

Omega immediately hung, omega wifi dropping, yellow led turns off, and I did her a power reset.

Is this problem happening because the module is for another kernel?
    I have Omega 2+ with 4.4.74 kernel

root@Omega-1D19:~# ls -l
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           940 Jan 14  2019 greeting.py
    -rw-rw-r--    1 1000     1000          6936 May 16  2019 kmod-p44-ledchain_4.14.81+2.0-7_mipsel_24kc.ipk
    root@Omega-1D19:~# opkg install --force-depends kmod-p44-ledchain*
    Installing kmod-p44-ledchain (4.14.81+2.0-7) to root...
    Configuring kmod-p44-ledchain.
    Collected errors:
     * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-p44-ledchain:
     * 	kernel (= 4.14.81-1-5c1ea8a282d7395b1a2c86bf6b1669fc) * 
    root@Omega-1D19:~# 
    root@Omega-1D19:~# insmod /lib/modules/4.14.81/p44-ledchain.ko ledchain0=0,5,1
    root@Omega-1D19:~# echo -en '\xFF\x00\x00\xFF\x00\x00' >/dev/ledchain0
    packet_write_wait: Connection to 192.168.3.1 port 22: Broken pipe

• @Nikolay-Vetrov Yes, it is!

• administrators

@Nikolay-Vetrov Yes, upgrade to the very latest available firmware: oupgrade -l -f and the ledchain kernel module will work right away.

That's actually what controls the notification LED on the Omega2 Pro

• @luz said in WS281x, SK6812 driver for the Omega2? [Solved]:

./scripts/feeds update -a

What plan44@plan44.ch's password???

Create index file './feeds/telephony.index'
    Updating feed 'plan44' from 'ssh://plan44@plan44.ch/home/plan44/sharedgit/plan44-public-feed.git;master' ...
    Cloning into './feeds/plan44'...
    The authenticity of host 'plan44.ch (5.148.180.31)' can't be established.
    ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:2MTxsEAWz1HLbiYcN9wufc0e0pLraCZHbizwVXat0RE.
    Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
    Warning: Permanently added 'plan44.ch,5.148.180.31' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
    plan44@plan44.ch's password:
    Connection closed by 5.148.180.31 port 22
    fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
    and the repository exists.
    failed.

• You seem to have the wrong repo URL for some reason. Where did it come from? Probably a mistake on my part publishing that URL somewhere (it's the url to my private staging repo for preparing stuff before I push to github - and obviously not publicly accessible). If you can point me to where you got that url from into your feeds.conf, I'll correct it, of course 😉

Anyway, just use github URL: https://github.com/plan44/plan44-feed.git , in your feeds.conf (or feeds.conf.default in case you modified that one) then it will work.

• @luz said in WS281x, SK6812 driver for the Omega2? [Solved]:

add the plan44 feed to feeds.conf.default by adding a line
    src-git plan44 ssh://plan44@plan44.ch/home/plan44/sharedgit/plan44-public-feed.git;master

Here.
    And what we can to write in feeds.conf.default?
    This: src-git plan44 https://github.com/plan44/plan44-feed.git?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.