We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Upgrading Node and Node-npm

• I am trying to install a npm package on my Onion Omega2+ to use WebSocket Tunneling. To install it I used a simple npm install code: node --max_old_space_size=64 $(which npm) install wstunnel. First, I got an npm warning that node-uuid is version 3.4.0 and needs to be upgraded to at least 7 but I upgraded it right before. Next I get the following set of errors that I have put at the bottom. I am unsure as to where to go from here. This npm command runs smoothly on my WSL Ubuntu, azur VM and even my raspberry pi3 but when I tried updating npm and node to newer versions but was unsuccessful. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

gyp ERR! UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION
    gyp ERR! stack TypeError: Object.fromEntries is not a function
    gyp ERR! stack at Object.<anonymous> (/root/node_modules/@npmcli/fs/lib/fs.js:6:23)
    gyp ERR! stack at Module._compile (module.js:652:30)
    gyp ERR! stack at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:663:10)
    gyp ERR! stack at Module.load (module.js:565:32)
    gyp ERR! stack at tryModuleLoad (module.js:505:12)
    gyp ERR! stack at Function.Module._load (module.js:497:3)
    gyp ERR! stack at Module.require (module.js:596:17)
    gyp ERR! stack at require (internal/module.js:11:18)
    gyp ERR! stack at Object.<anonymous> (/root/node_modules/@npmcli/fs/lib/index.js:2:6)
    gyp ERR! stack at Module._compile (module.js:652:30)
    gyp ERR! System Linux 4.14.81
    gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/root/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
    gyp ERR! cwd /root/node_modules/bufferutil
    gyp ERR! node -v v8.10.0
    gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v9.3.1
    gyp ERR! Node-gyp failed to build your package.
    gyp ERR! Try to update npm and/or node-gyp and if it does not help file an issue with the package author.
    npm WARN root@1.0.0 No description
    npm WARN root@1.0.0 No repository field.

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
    npm ERR! errno 7
    npm ERR! bufferutil@4.0.7 install: node-gyp-build
    npm ERR! Exit status 7
    npm ERR!
    npm ERR! Failed at the bufferutil@4.0.7 install script.
    npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
    npm ERR! /root/.npm/_logs/2023-05-31T19_28_02_902Z-debug.log

• @santi29051 Looks to me that npm is trying to download some dependencies and is failing. The message "No repository field." I expect is because the script is determining what to download based upon the detected OS. Have you checked wstunnel is compatible with OpenWrt<version>? I had expected there would be a memory issue, but your logging does not report that. Perhaps refer to the documentation regarding nodejs https://docs.onion.io/omega2-docs/installing-and-using-nodejs.html

• @crispyoz I have not found ant specifics talking about WS tunnel for OpenWrt. I found the code to be used from github here: https://github.com/mhzed/wstunnel. I have been looking at the documentation for nodejs but haven't found anything too useful. I am still very new to both the Onion and programing and developing as a whole so I'm not even sure what to look for.

• administrators

@santi29051 iirc node-gyp-build tries to compile node packages directly on your device. As opposed to just downloading javascript files.

Check out this docs article: http://docs.onion.io/omega2-docs/node-red-article.html#installing-node-packages-that-require-compilation

Note that you'll need more storage space - so an omega2 pro or extending the omega's storage (also available on the docs)

• @Lazar-Demin Even after following the instructions for node packages that need compiling, I still get the same error message when trying to run node --max_old_space_size=512 $(which npm) install wstunnel. Any other possible solutions or suggestions?

• administrators

@santi29051 this line in the error message caught my attention: gyp ERR! stack TypeError: Object.fromEntries is not a function
    I suggest checking if the wstunnel package depends on a specific minimum node version.

• @Lazar-Demin If i am not mistaken from the package-lock.json file it has a minimum node requirement of 10.12. Is there a way to update the node on the Onion to that? I tried installing NVM but even after getting it in the onion the command was never recognized

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.