We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Update in Omega Lead times?

  • Does Onion have an updated lead time on the Omega2 devices? The latest advice I have seen is "April Timeframe", since it's now May it'd be helpful if we could get an update to assist with planning.

  • @crispyoz Same question here!

  • administrators

    The global chip crisis has made everything from component sourcing to production to stock forecasting incredibly difficult, but here is an update on the current situation:

    Distributors - Immediate Shipping

    Our distributors Mouser and Digikey continue to sell Omega2 devices in small and large quantities with immediate shipping.

    Omega2 (OM-O2) and Omega2+ (OM-O2P) - Through-hole

    Currently in stock and available at Mouser and Digikey.
    And more Omega2+ stock will become available in the coming days pending arrival of recent shipments.

    Omega2S (OM-O2S) and Omega2S+ (OM-O2SP) - Surface-mount

    Currently out of stock at Mouser and Digikey.

    Targeting late May/early June to resupply.

    How can I buy right now?

    To find direct links for Onion products on our distributors’ sites, see our How to Buy page: https://onion.io/buy

    Ordering Directly from Onion - Longer Lead Time

    Because of the current market conditions - component shortages and sharp price increases - we have:

    • Increased lead time to 16 weeks
    • Updated pricing

    For more information on ordering terms and how to get in touch, check out https://onion.io/volume-orders/


    If you have any questions, post in this thread and we'll do our best to answer

  • @Lazar-Demin

    Re the Omega 2S and 2S+ we've had our back orders pushed out twice at Digikey and now twice at Mouser. Latest Mouser estimate is early July.

    This is seriously holding up our production pilot runs. Can we please get an update on when you expect to deliver to Mouser and Digikey.

  • @SimonPR Digikey just pushed back my back order for some other components yet again, as well. If both Apple and Samsung have to push back on product releases due to chip shortages, you and I are way back in the queue.

    I have 40 Omega2S+ on my shelf but I can't launch a new product until I have a few hundred more, so I'm thinking I could put them up for auction 🙂

  • @crispyoz I'm buying those 40!

  • I am needing about 125 omega2S+ if anyone has any to move...

  • @Keith-Bowman-0 said in Update in Omega Lead times?:

    I am needing about 125 omega2S+ if anyone has any to move...

    We are ordering like a really big amount... hopefully this increases our priority in the line...

  • Now I am wondering about "component shortages and sharp price increases", @Lazar-Demin are you flagging that OM-O2SP prices will be increasing and if so by how much? I'm concerned about taking back orders while we wait for stock then finding the price has increased significantly.

  • administrators

    @crispyoz That's right, prices for all Omega2 modules have increased as a result of these new market conditions.

    We've put up a blog post on the impact of the chip crisis that goes into more detail.

    Along with that, there's a new chip crisis status page that we'll be updating with any new developments. Our goal is to keep everybody informed with what's going on.

    @SimonPR and others in need of inventory asap:
    We’re resupplying Mouser and Digikey as fast as we can - resupply shipments are going out in early to mid June.
    Going through Mouser or Digikey will be the absolute fastest way to get units.

  • Thanks @Lazar-Demin the post is very informative and I understand Onion has little control over the global market but my key question is what the expected price increase will be. I can't take backorders on exiting products and I've put a new product launch on hold until I have clarity on this.

  • administrators

    @crispyoz oversight on my end, apologies!

    The Onion Store has been updated with the new direct from pricing at MoQ. And you can request the updated price sheet here.
    We're assuming Mouser and Digikey will adjust their prices somewhere in line with our MoQ pricing.
    EDIT: Looks like Mouser has posted their new pricing as well!

    You'll have to check directly with Mouser/Digikey on how they will handle price changes for back-orders.

  • Thanks @Lazar-Demin for the updated info, I checked out Mouser, the price increase is >50% and they are quoting 13 weeks back order which will make it some time in August, so I'm reading some time in October.

    Where can I go to scream !?!?!

  • administrators

    @crispyoz I suggest checking back on Mouser + Digikey's quoted delivery time in the coming weeks. They might be using a worst case estimate at the moment - so it might improve with time!

    Where can I go to scream !?!?!

    Lol! I personally found nature walks really helpful when we kept getting hit with news of 2x, 3x, 5x component price increases. Only have a few new streaks of grey hair 😅

  • @Lazar-Demin I'm waiting on Digikey, they are more reliable for me here in Oz. Even the WifI antennas I am using are on back order.

    Not sure I can find anything other than grey hairs, but I do find that a nice glass of scotch helps 🙂

  • administrators

    Initial Omega2S+ (OM-O2SP) resupply shipments to Digikey and Mouser have gone out!
    It looks like Digikey already has Omega2S+ listed as in stock.

    More resupply shipments will be going out mid-June.

  • They have 4 for immediate delivery. Yay! 🙂

  • administrators

    @crispyoz yikes, they had 440 when I posted 2 days ago...
    I'll post here again when we send out more resupply shipments

  • Wow seems the price has increased significantly. I used to buy at ~$20AUD now ~$47AUD, I guess Digikey is trying to squeeze every dollar out of their remaining 4 units. I suspect @Lucas-Gozalvez picked up the bulk of them and left us with the dregs 🙂

  • administrators

    Resupply shipment alert!

    Omega2S+ (OM-O2SP) and Omega2S (OM-O2S) resupply to Mouser has shipped
    Omega2S (OM-O2S) and Omega2 (OM-O2) resupply shipment to Digikey has gone out

    Check back with Mouser + Digikey in the coming days for available inventory, we anticipate units will go quickly once they’re back in stock.

    Next resupply shipments will be going out in July

Log in to reply

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.