We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

CAN Bus: using MCP2515 with Omega2

• @Lazar-Demin

2) IRQ GPIO in DTS

After confirming that the MCP251x driver is initialized as half-duplex mode as desired, I came back to investigate IRQ issue.
    I measured the GPIO11 with an oscilloscope. The result was exactly like you mentioned.
    BPIO11 was always HIGH and never tirggered even though there are incoming packets.

Is there a quick way to check if GPIO11 is released from Omega2's bootloader for general-purpose use?
    In other word, how can I check the IRQ is properly configured on GPIO11?

• @DumTux said in CAN Bus: using MCP2515 with Omega2:

Is there a quick way to check if GPIO11 is released from Omega2's bootloader for general-purpose use?

If you can "export" it via the '/sys/class/gpio' interface (before loading your driver that may try to use it, and possibly block it even if not successful establishing it as IRQ), then it should be available.

However, when you are using unpatched 22.03, the /sys/class/gpio interface (deprecated by now) will have completely strange GPIO numbering: GPIO 0..31 -> 480..511, GPIO 32..63 = 448..479.
    So you'd need to export GPIO 491 to get GPIO 11.

I am using a patch on top of 22.03 to bring back the gpio-base DT property which allows to revert the numbering back to what it was in 19.07. New projects should use the new gpiod interface, but this is not entirely ready yet, see my attempt to find out what the status of GPIOs in OpenWrt is.

• This post is deleted!

Fabulous!
    After a few seconds of power on, GPIO11 went to HIGH status and never dropped to LOW level while MCP2515 operating. Instead, after CAN bus enabling, the GPIO11 voltage was ~2.0V.
    I think it was because MCP2515 was trying to pull down, while Omega2 is trying to output HIGH.

But with that GPIO number fixing, it dropped to LOW after CAN bus enabling.
    Here's the results.

root@OpenWrt:~# ls /sys/class/gpio/
    export       gpiochip416  gpiochip448  gpiochip480  unexport
    root@OpenWrt:~# echo 491 > /sys/class/gpio/export 
    root@OpenWrt:~# ls /sys/class/gpio/
    export       gpio491      gpiochip416  gpiochip448  gpiochip480  unexport
    root@OpenWrt:~# cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio491/direction 
    out
    root@OpenWrt:~# echo in > /sys/class/gpio/gpio491/direction 
    root@OpenWrt:~# cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio491/direction 
    in
    root@OpenWrt:~# insmod /lib/modules/5.10.146/mcp251x.ko 
    root@OpenWrt:~# ip l | grep can
    6: can0: <NOARP,ECHOmtu 16 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 10
        link/can 
    root@OpenWrt:~# ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 125000
    root@OpenWrt:~# 

Just after this ip link set can0 up command ran, the GPIO11 dropped to LOW.
    I think MCP2515 is pulling down the INT# pin as it is constantly receiving packets from external sensor.

I'll keep my further working results posted.

• @luz @Lazar-Demin @crispyoz and all!
    I am still having trouble with CAN bus driving.

Current behavior

• I set GPIO11 as input and load the MCP251x kernel module as per above discussion.
    • Now enable can0 and send packets using these commands.
    root@OpenWrt:~# cansend can0 01a#11223344AABBCCDD

Screenshot from 2022-11-13 23-25-25.png

• I can see the waveform on bus by oscilloscope correctly.
    • Restart the bus as loopback mode to test somthing different.
    root@OpenWrt:~# ip link set can0 down
    root@OpenWrt:~# ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 125000 loopback on

• Now the INT# (GPIO11) falls to LOW. MCP2515 stopped working.
      *** MCP2515 does not recover even though I disable/enable the bus again like this.
    root@OpenWrt:~# ip link set can0 down

• I have to turn off the board power and turn it on again to make MCP2515 INT# recovered.
    • dmesg shows nothing except success logs like this during all these operation.
    [   68.586340] mcp251x spi0.1 can0: MCP2515 successfully initialized.
    [   69.759118] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): can0: link becomes ready
    [  124.360819] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): can0: link becomes ready

• The same situation goes for when I connect external sensor module, that emits CAN message periodically.
    • As soon as any external packet is coming in, the MCP2515 INT# falls to LOW. I can read nothing via candump.
    • All this behavior were the same no matter of setting GPIO11 as IN or not before loading the MCP251x kernel module.

Questions

• Is this still IRQ problem?
    • Is there any way to check MCP2515 resistor values using canutils package commands?
    • Is there other reading method except candump ? For example, instead of inturrupt-based candump, manual polling.

• I am going to try to modify the bootloader to not handle GPIO11 for the dock power supply.
    There is a bootloader on OnionIoT GitHub account, but it seems like outdated.
    And I could not find the current OpenWrt 22.03 build using it.

Thus, I guess GPIO11 handling is somewhere patched inside OpenWrt 22.03's specific config files.
    I could see some MediaTek related config patches under openwrt/package/boot/uboot-mediatek/.
    There I either cannot find specific configs related to Omega2.
    As MT76x8 is used in router products a lot, I don't believe the Omega2 specific config will be under this location.

Where can I find the OpenWrt 22.03 bootloader for Omega2?

• administrators

@DumTux The bootloader is independent of the firmware. If you've reflashed your Omega2, it will still be running the factory bootloader.

The factory bootloader is compiled from this source code: https://github.com/OnionIoT/omega2-bootloader/
    GPIO11 is set high to be compatible with the reset button on the Omega2 Docks. You can find that here in the bootloader: https://github.com/OnionIoT/omega2-bootloader/blob/master/lib_mips/board.c#L3028

When you've compiled your own bootloader, follow these instructions to update your device: http://docs.onion.io/omega2-docs/Web-Recovery-flash-bootloader.html

• void gpio_init(void)
    {
      RALINK_REG(RT2880_REG_PIODIR+0x04)=val;

/*
      //zh@onion.io
      //setting GPIO 11 High, required for the reset button to work
      val=RALINK_REG(RT2880_REG_PIODIR);
      val|=1<<11;
      RALINK_REG(RT2880_REG_PIODIR) = val; // GPIO 11 direction output
      val=RALINK_REG(RT2880_REG_PIODATA);
      val|=1<<11;
      RALINK_REG(RT2880_REG_PIODATA) = val; // GPIO 11 High
      */

//jeffzhou@onion.io
      //adding for read wifi MAC address.
      unsigned char macbuf[6];
    	raspi_read(macbuf, CFG_FACTORY_ADDR - CFG_FLASH_BASE + 0x04, 6);
    	printf("wifi mac address = %02X%02X%02X%02X%02X%02X.\n",
          macbuf[0],macbuf[1],macbuf[2],macbuf[3],macbuf[4],macbuf[5]);
    }

I commented the GPIO11 related part in the bootloader source code, and built it.
    Just used make command.

After entering to Web recovery mode on Omega2's boot, I went to uBoot upgrade page.
    There was Very dangerous warning, but I proceeded.
    And after done, that dangerous result happened - not booting.

Screenshot from 2022-11-18 07-25-31.png

Is there some make option to build a bootloader specfic for Omega2+ ?

• As a comparison, this is normal booting screenshot from the factory bootloader.
    It is showing DRAM size 128MB, while my above wrong bootloader shows as 64MB.
    Also, flash memory is wrongly recognized.

Screenshot from 2022-11-18 10-05-07.png

• administrators

@DumTux Make sure to run setup_env.sh and then you can use build.sh to build the bootloader binaries.

• @Lazar-Demin
    How can I build a U-Boot image for Omega2+ ?

• @DumTux The process is:

git clone https://github.com/OnionIoT/omega2-bootloader/
    cd omega2-bootloader
    ./setup_env.sh
    chmod +x build.sh
    ./build.sh

This produces 2 files:

uboot-omega2-<date>.bin
    uboot-omega2p-<date>.bin

The latter is the Omega2+ uboot

• @crispyoz @Lazar-Demin
    Yes, it worked. I choose the omgega2-bootloader instead of omega2p-bootloader accidentally.
    After soldering with a brand new Omeba2S+ module, I carefully upgraded bootloader.

Here's the pre-compiled bootloader for others' future reference.
    https://github.com/dumtux/omega2-bootloader/releases/tag/tower-bootloader-v0.1

After disabling GPIO11 default behavior from Omega2's bootloader, I could see some different behavior of MCP2515 kernel driver.
    I could see some short impulses while initializing MCP2515 driver and enabling can0 interface.
    I didn't see such impulses before with the default bootloader.

I'll keep posting further results.

• @DumTux
    AFAIK the main problem is related to the wrong GPIO/IRQ mapping:
    https://forum.openwrt.org/t/can-mcp2515-gpio-irq-problem/92879/3

Maybe luz or Lazar could give a hint ?

• @Gerhard-Bertelsmann Yes, the 19.07 version of gpio-mt7621.c interrupt routing implementation is broken for GPIO interrupts assigned via DT.

I made ugly patches to fix that back then, I can dig them out if someone wants to use them, but I can't exactly recommend (it was kind of an emergency hack for an urgent project).

As far as I know, the issue should be fixed in the 22.03 version of gpio-mt7621.c, as the entire driver has been reworked to align with other modern GPIO drivers and handles the banks differently.

But I haven't had the chance to test it so far, and the link to the OpenWrt forum you posted saying it is not yet fixed in 21.02 makes me doubt a bit, because I thought the rework already happened in the 21.02 time frame, but I can't verify or test that right now.

• @Gerhard-Bertelsmann
    I experienced similar error messages when I used the wrong GPIO number.
    For example, I tried this.
    interrupts = <75 0x02>
    And it gave very similar error as yours on kernel module loading.

As far as I used the right GPIO number 11, the kernel module loading was just successful.
    I don't have a clue if this means the issue was eliminated in 22.03.

When I connect two boards via CAN bus, I could only enable CAN driver from one board.
    Currently, I am in a different situation after disabling GPIO11's default behavior of the bootloader.
    I can enable both side drivers. And each board can send CAN packets by cansend.
    However, the interrupt is not invoking and candump still prints nothing.

• @luz said in CAN Bus: using MCP2515 with Omega2:

I made ugly patches to fix that back then, I can dig them out if someone wants to use them, but I can't exactly recommend (it was kind of an emergency hack for an urgent project).

I would be interested in this patch

As far as I know, the issue should be fixed in the 22.03 version of gpio-mt7621.c, as the entire driver has been reworked to align with other modern GPIO drivers and handles the banks differently.

I switched to 22.03 but the problem is still present

• I just did another experiment.
    I disconnected external sensor.

Omega2 -> MCP2515 -> (open) -> Oscilloscope

If I enable the CAN bus like this, I can see output CAN packet from the oscilloscope.

ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 125000
    cansend can0 01a#112233

Next, I enabled CAN bus with loopback mode.

ip link set can0 down
    ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 125000 loopback on
    cansend can0 01a#112233

No CAN packet waveform I can see!
    To see it again, I should re-enable the CAN bus without loopback mode.

ip link set can0 down
    ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 125000 loopback off
    cansend can0 01a#112233

Any thought from this loopback mode behavior?

• @luz
    I also would like to see your patches as @Gerhard-Bertelsmann said.
    Is it somewhere in public repo?

Next, I enabled CAN bus with loopback mode.

ip link set can0 down
    ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 125000 loopback on
    cansend can0 01a#112233

No CAN packet waveform I can see!

that's the usual behaviour in loopback mode. Packets are not transmitted to the transceiver.
    I use the loopback mode for testing purpose. If this works (received the same data as send) everything is fine with the communication to the CAN controller.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.